'Smoked' Salmond on toast

And Sturgeon for later.

It must be the smell of fish

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

BBC reports: "Ms Sturgeon said she would work with "anyone in any way" to secure more powers for Scotland."

Do you think that working with one of the various Irish organisations, or IS would lead to more independence for Scotland?

Methinks she needs a far longer spoon than she would be able to get hold of if she really meant what is quoted. It is a worrying thing for her to say. But maybe her star was more of a meteor?

Reply to
polygonum

I sincerely hope that the presumably huge costs of this referendum exercise is picked up in it's entirety by Scottish funding and doesn't come to roost on English tax payers, who were not invited to express their opinions.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It means the whingers will s!art again!

At least we know the islanders want to stay British as we thought.

Maybe we should disconnect Glasgow, Dundee and N Lanarkshire from the rest of the UK for a bit so they know what they voted for?

Reply to
dennis

It won't stop him trying to get another referendum. I suspect that Westminster might be a little less willing to amend the Scotland Act a second time to allow one though.

Reply to
Nightjar

The Natural Philosopher wrote

I think you'll find he has won.

Reply to
Jabba

*ding* He's got the outcome that he really wanted. As much power as he can cope with, without having all the awkward reality.
Reply to
Adrian

The big story is not yes or no, but how can the uk get this kind of turnout for council and ntional elections without making it illegal not to vote. The answer of course is that people need to believe the issues are important, and that any promises made will actually come to pass. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't think that the really committed nationalists will think they have won until they get an independent Scotland.

Reply to
Nightjar

yes you clocked it. He always wanted 'devomax' on the ballot knowing full w ell independence wouldn't cut it. Westminster gambled on the yes/no option. When the polls got tight in the last few days, they bottled it and in effe ct that's exactly what they offered.

Al

Reply to
Al

"Nightjar wrote

Every country has nationalists, sometimes they can whip up backing, most of the time they're regarded by the majority as nutcases. Don't be surprised to hear about the Cornish nationalists in the next few months.

Reply to
Jabba

Any alterations to the exisisting arrangements will still have to get through parliament.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When I lived in Scotland, I doubt anybody thought there would ever be nearly half the country in favour of separation, but it happened. I don't think it will go away now; this is just a postponement until next time.

Mind you, a yes vote would have at least meant we didn't have to cheer for Andy Murray any more.

I was think more of the Welsh.

Reply to
Nightjar

That is quite promising given you're proved wrong about nearly everything.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A few years ago at a General Election, there was a Vectis Nationalist standing. I'll leave it to you Latin scholars to work out which seat was involved.

Reply to
charles

That's an interesting thought - maybe the lack of Plan B for the pound / euro was deliberate. That certainly from my point of view was the why I voted no, and the lack of a national bank nor plans seemingly to create one.

Reply to
robgraham

What is needed is to make every vote count (just as it did in this referendum). Round here the Tories have such a big majority its not worth getting off your arse to vote anything else. I suspect other parts of the country have the opposite problem.

If the referendum had been counted on a council basis the NOs would still have won (28 to 4) but my guess is that the turnout would have been a lot less.

Reply to
news

That's about the size of it. He's a one-trick pony and with his frustrated sights firmly set on more personal power, the only way to deal with the bastard is for the Scottish electorate to wake up to how cunning and ruthless a manipulator he is and how they've been played. Sleazy little creep - I wish he'd do the decent thing and f*ck off.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You see, that's the kind of remark that makes me think less of you.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

LOL Yeah, depends which "countrys" are involved. ;-)

Reply to
J.B.Treadstone