Smoke stains on ceiling

Hi folks,

We've had a wood burning stove in our extension for about 4years. Over that time a strange pattern of stains has formed on the ceiling, whereby dark spots are present wherever a screw was positioned to hold up the plaster boards.

I'm not sure if this is smoke damage, which would be weird if it produced such a regular pattern, or if the plaster board screws are somehow bleeding through.

Any ideas on a likely source, or thoughts on how treat it and stop it happening again would be greatly received.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Scantlebury

We lived without electricity for a number of years, using oil lamps for lighting. When we eventually were able to get electric and discard the oils lamps the blacking above where they had been remained discernible for several years and a number of repaints. So you may be stuck with it for a while.

Reply to
Moonraker

Nothing to do with the stove. Unlessi ts cased condensation.

Rust most likley.

I suspect the latter.

dig one out and see where its sourced. If it deep inside, its the screws.

Worthwhile re attaching te boards and reskimming, or line the thing with paper and repaint?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

correct answer. Stain block paints are a bit more effective.

NT

Reply to
NT

Condensation on cold bridging.

Reply to
<me9

Thanks for the replies so far. If it is condensation, what can we do about it? Matt

Reply to
Matt Scantlebury

Vapour barrier. If it is interstitial condensation

NT

Reply to
NT

Have you dug away at one yet and seen where the staining is coming from as suggested by somebody? [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]