Smoke/Fire alarm question

Hi, my daughter recently moved into a top floor flat. The block was built in the year 2000. Along the corridor from which the individual rooms are entered, there are 2 alarm sensors mounted on the ceiling. I want to check that these are functioning ok. There is a small button on the face of each that I think might be a tester but pressing it produces no apparent result. I think these alarms are part of the original building spec, because unmounting them from the ceiling shows that they are wired. When unmounted,there is a label on the back that says "...see the manual.." among other things. No manual anywhere to be seen though.

There are some other identification details on the back: Ionisation alarm, Model:5230SCA, Deta Electrical Co Ltd. There's also something about radioactivity.

Can anyone please offer any advice on testing this equipment?

Regards, Mike

Reply to
MikeyMuchos

I know this might be something that you have thought of but is there a management company or factor for the flats .there should be as there will be "communal" maintenance issues that need to be dealt with .

Is this the company you refer to . Deta Electrical Company Ltd Kingswsay House Laporte Way Luton LU4 8RJ(Road Map) Bedfordshire Tel: 01582 544510 Fax: 01582 544511 Internet: URL not known

Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

They are mains powered with 30 day battery back up, there should be a green power led and a red 12V dc led.

As they are interlinkable testing should be done with caution as you may trigger every one in the flats!!

If you did not see any led's then it could be the mains has been disconnected from them for what ever reason and this would need checking. Is there a communal supply for things such as corridor lighting and cleaners sockets in the corridors? If so they may be fused in the same box.

There is mention of them in Deta's catalogue on page 86:-

mentioned at:-

Bill

In message , Stuart writes

snipped-for-privacy@detaelectrical.co.uk

Reply to
Bill

Thanks for the reply Stuart. Yes I had thought there would be some sort of official body associated with the maintenace of the building. If I have to, I'll get in touch with them. At this stage I'm trying to assure myself of the situation from a low profile standpoint. "Adult" "children" can be touchy about interference, no matter how well intentioned. :)

And yes again, that is the full postal address of the company, which I'll also make use of if necessary.

Reply to
MikeyMuchos

Thanks for the details and the links Bill. I went there to deliver furniture on a sunny afternoon. I didn't notice any LEDs but I'll ask my daughter what they look like at night with the corridor lights out. Regards, Mike

Reply to
MikeyMuchos

It might not be wise to tell the management company that you have examined the smoke detector in detail.

In certain circumstances, tampering with fire safety equipment can amount to a criminal offence. I appreciate that your intentions were for the best.

Graham

Reply to
graham

I suppose it depends on the winning definition of 'tampering'. As these things are fitted with an anti-tampering lock, if this lock has not been accessed, can the device be said to have been tampered with?

It seems increasingly easy to become a criminal in our society. Thanks for the warning. Keep up the good work.

Reply to
MikeyMuchos

You usually need to press and hold the button for some time before it triggers the alarm. You should also tell all the other occupants before you do this.

Reply to
Peter Parry

And also make sure that the alarm is not monitored, and the brigade show up to kick your ass.

Reply to
BigWallop

Please don't play with safety equipment that you clearly know nothing about. The alarm system may be remotely or centrally monitored, and you tampering with it has set balls in to motion for an engineer to call and check it all out now. Do you know where the central control panel is? Do you know how to silence the alarm when, and if, you do set it off?

These systems seem to be outwith your knowledge, so please leave them alone.

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks, that's certainly the sensible approach. Regards, Mike

Reply to
MikeyMuchos

I seem to be bringing the vigilantes out of the woodwork with this one. Of course, such a blatant disregard for human life and safety is simply not on. I'd better hand myself in.

Reply to
MikeyMuchos

Ass kicking being streets ahead of ensuring the adequacy of safety equipment.

Reply to
MikeyMuchos

For Gawds sake.The guy was only asking for advice .No need to treat him like some serial killer . Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Oh, alright then. Is it OK for me to come your house and start digging up the foundations to see how they work?

Reply to
BigWallop

If the cables to the smoke alarms look like standard mains cables (twin or triple and earth), it's possible it's a self-contained system powered from its own MCB (no battery back-up) and that MCB has tripped. Check the consumer unit.

If the cable to the alarms is red outer sheathed or looks like it has a foil screen rather than a solid earth wire, or is MICC (mineral insulated copper clad) it's probably a centralised fire detection system

- speak to the building caretaker.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Fire brigade will not be angry at a genuine inadvertent false alarm (first time round, the student halls near me have their autodialler to the brigade on a five minute delay now because the Uni was getting charged for so many automated call-outs caused by burning toast or hi jinks).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You are actually being offered good advice. You are well meaning but uninformed. You have dismantled safety equipment you don't understand for no good reason. You may have put it all back together correctly and the link wire may not be broken but will the next overprotective father do the same or will they take the sensor home to "have it checked" or c*ck up replacing it. Would you be happy if your daughter in the future reports visitors to other residents are always taking the fire alarm system apart to inspect it?

The most common reason for ignoring fire warnings is nuisance alarms. You are presuming that you are the only one ever who would set the alarm off to see if it works and this is, as you see it, in your daughters best interests and therefore is not merely permissible but desirable. You may even want to check the thing periodically.

If every relation of every resident does the same the alarm is going off frequently - and there is no fire. One day it will go off for real and occupants, including perhaps your daughter, will mutter "Sod$$%g relatives again" and carry on doing whatever they were.

If you are concerned ask the management company what the test and maintenance schedule is, ask the local fire service to do a fire safety inspection. Check the escape routes, make sure there are two and they are protected by fire stop doors. Makes sure the fire stop doors are on autoclosers linked to the alarms (preferable) or if not make sure they are kept shut and not propped open. Make sure your daughter knows how to get out in the dark with no lights.

All these are far more important than dismantling a sensor you clearly don't understand and may have damaged by your meddling.

Reply to
Peter Parry

This used to be - and may still be - standard practice.

In 1991, when I lived in university halls of residence, the fire alarm system was set to immediately call the fire service if a break call point was activated. In the event of a smoke alarm being activated, then the security guards had 4 minutes in which to confirm that it was a false alarm, otherwise the fire service would be called.

Graham

Reply to
graham