Smoke Detector

Mains powered, linked detectors - they signal each other via the mains wiring. One detects trouble, they all sound:

running 3+E between detectors).

Reply to
RubberBiker

That link was for mains only, they don't work during a power cut when the use of candles, oil or gas light sources is likely to be higher...

I'd rather have something with battery backup. A better TLC index page is:

Dave Liquorice

Agreed. I'd choose the best fire protection I could afford. I chose that page to link to as it was the only one that mentioned the interconnection capability - in fact I think all Kidde devices support this

Reply to
RubberBiker

RubberBiker coughed up some electrons that declared:

The Aico ones I mentioned all have battery backup. As to whether the radio interlink works without mains I don;t have an answer to - need to check the manual or phone them.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Aico hardwired interlink works during mains or on battery. You can use them as pure battery alarms until you redecorate, the battery lasts

2yrs+. If you find wiring difficult (eg, using a star arrangement with 3) then use the surface mount bases which provide lots of wiring room, easy to do strain relief, wago clip, wotnot).

Never found out whether Aico wireless interlink requires a wireless base (RC) on every alarm or just the "remote" and "any hardwire interlinked local".

Reply to
js.b1

In message , Tim S writes

Well, the battery only ones are radio interlinked ones, as I've been looking at some recently, so I imagine the mains ones do on battery backup.

Reply to
chris French

The smoke alarms are playing up in the house, so I am going to replace them (x2) There seem to be so many to choose from, has any one got any recommendations?

Was looking at these

I have cleaned the smoke alarms we have, but have had a problem with burnt toast not setting them off at the weekend, so just want to replace them.

Reply to
Camdor

Would steer clear of that make; quite a lot of adverse coverage on them from Fire Brigades. Go for an optical type smoke alarm, rather than the Ion you probably have now. Try tlc-direct.co.uk

Reply to
Gel

I wasn't impressed with them either.

Now have half a dozen Firex ones, interlinked. Three ionisation, two optical (I think) and one rate-of-heat-rise (in the kitchen).

They all seem pretty good. You can get pattresses for them which makes them easy to fit; it's just the bloody wiring!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Note that if you want to interlink them, you need to use 3-core cable.

Reply to
dom

One of ours has just started beeping to itself every few minutes, It works all right on the test button. It is not one of the ones given to us by the fire service, and has tended to go off with hot air such as when the oven is opened, rather than when one actually sets fire to something in the kitchen. Anyone know what might be causing phantom beeps?

spamlet

Probably the battery is starting to die.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I've used these ones at home, and 2 out of 4 started giving false alarms within the first 3 months. Since then they've been ok though. Do you have a reference to the fire brigade's comments?

I would like to add more alarms. Are different makes of alarms compatible, or would I need to replace the whole lot?

Reply to
Bodgit

"Camdor" wrote

I fitted AICO

A combination of heat detectors (garage and kitchen) and ionisation/optical elsewhere. The only problem I have had is when I was doing some mega-dusty work and forgot to cover one. Sent it back and they cleaned and returned it under guarantee. Not cheap, but probably reasonable investment over 10 years life - ring round for prices though!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

FWIW The fire brigade round here (Luton) came round fitting free alarms and they have 'FireAngei' embossed on them - which is presumably supposed to be FireAngel:

have a red light on, so you can see if they are live as well as the usual push button test. These ones have never been triggered by oven fumes, unlike our other alarm which is an 'EI' ionisation type.

spamlet