Smoke alarms: what's the latest?

Ah - she's like my wife, who uses the Girl Guide method.. "When it's brown it's cooking, when it's black it's done." along with a belief that a sausage is of no use unless you can sketch with it.

Reply to
Skipweasel

It's a *vague wooly remembrance* a watch crystal on the board that counts down to give it built in obselence.

Reply to
mogga

I use Duracell, the cheap ones just don't last.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

For sure (and I'll have to note whether it's taken into account leap years when it does eventually die :-) but I was curious as to *why* - there must (assuming the manufacturer isn't just pulling a fast one) be something that degrades in the sensor that necessitates a separate clock to 'brick' the detector after a pre-determined lifespan rather than risking it silently failing.

I like Bob's point of oxidisation - seems sensible (although I would expect that to be affected by environmental conditions - which might mean that the 7 year span is rather conservative for a lot of situations)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I'm sure that's true. 7 years would be the minimum usable life under relatively adverse conditions. But no easy way of detecting how 'worn' it is, so I guess that's why the chip.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The first CO sensors lasted a year, or until you poisoned them, e.g. by using an airosol furniture polish nearby. They have slowly improved but they are still subject to limited life and poisoning.

For ionisation smoke detectors, the sense current is so tiny that in many models that leg of the IC is bent up and not even soldered to the circuit board, as the PCB leakage would be too high. Eventually dust which settles in it will stop it working. They generally recommend

10 years max, although I have some significantly older which still work.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On 06/01/2011 19:16, pete wrote: ...

I've got one of those that was supplied and fitted by the Fire Brigade. Four years later, it is sitting in a shed chirping away to itself.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Fantastic. Thanks a lot Mike: bookmarked that site now!

John

Reply to
Another John

There's actually more chance of dangerous CO levels during a power failure, due to the use of LPG, oil, etc. in backup equipment.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

and during the 1970's rolling power cuts, more risk of fire due to use of candles (and I don't think any domestic smoke detectors back then). I'd like to think most people have safer sources of backup lighting nowadays.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well - I've got two Tilleys (bought from a couple who bought them for the miners' strike and didn't know how to use them), three Optimus lamps, a Bialladin or two...

Reply to
Skipweasel

I'd be surprised if many do.

More people use candles for decoration and haven't been taught to do so safely.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I know a guy who had a house transported to a remote island. He had a kerosine Primus stove. The valve in the pump got blocked by bits of leather (as it does). He had pumped the stove up, and a jet of kerosine come out of the pump and made a pool on the floor which caught fire. He didn't think or have time to release the pressure. There was no fire brigade on the island.The house completely burned down.

Reply to
Matty F

I've found the ionization-type smoke alarms get more sensitive as they age and I have replaced all my alarms well before their suggested lifespan due to the frequent false alarms.

Reply to
Mark