Smoke Alarms

Am i right in thinking that to meet building regulations, all new smoke alarms need to be wired into the lighting circuit? Also, do i need one on every floor?

Reply to
jason

Smoke detectors should be mains powered and interlinked so that all go off when one sensor activates. They should have battery backup (there are other alternatives that are allowed, but ignore them). The interlinking doesn't have to be by separate cable. Systems using signals over the mains cable are available, as are RF signalled versions. The system should either be on its own circuit, or be connected to a frequently used lighting circuit.

There are exceptions to needing to install such a smoke detector system. Ignore these exceptions.

In house fires at night, you are extremely likely to die, as smoke will send you deeper to sleep, not wake you. When there is a reliable mains powered interlinked and battery backed smoke detection system installed, deaths and serious injury are almost unheard of. Battery smoke detectors help, but are significantly less reliable, as less than half have a functional installed battery at any time.

I would refuse to live in a house that did not have such a system. I have retrofitted such systems into every house I have lived in.

You need one on every floor. It is best to install on the landings. If you are a heavy sleeper, also install one in your bedroom. Do not install one near a kitchen and certainly not inside one. The kitchen requires a temperature sensor instead, which should also be mains powered and interlinked. An alarm system that goes off due to cooking fumes will be ignored when it matters.

My system has been installed for two and a half years. It has activated only once in that time, when the toaster caught fire. It has not suffered a single false alarm. Ever. Not even during fry ups. Not for burnt toast.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

jason said the following on 13/01/2006 09:19:

New dwellings and loft conversions need mains smoke alarms.

Mains fire alarms should be on a dedicated circuit and should be linked and preferably battery-backed up.

Yes, put one on every floor.

If not a new dwelling or loft conversion, battery fire alarms are acceptable.

See here:

Rumble

I suggest you contact your local Fire Department. Ours will come and fit them for you for free.

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

Well you're lucky, I couldn't get anything out of either the N. London fire service near our flat in Barnet nor from our local Suffolk one.

By "I couldn't get anything" I mean they wouldn't even bother to tell me anything useful or visit the property to make suggestions.

Reply to
usenet

They'll be cheap battery ones, though. You'd be very lucky to have to have them out laying mains interlinked cables.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Fire Brigade only involved with battery alarms for at risk groups in UK. Alarms with no battery back up must be taken back to separate spur on consumer unit with no RCD. Those with battery back up can be taken off adjacent lighting circuit; this is recommended as if there is disruption on lighting circuit:

1/It will be readily apparent

2/It will get fixed

3/We have experience of tenants with alarms on dedicated spur disconnecting circuit if alarm strats to nuisance alarm; they won't disconnect a lighting one however!!

Follow this link for copy Installer Guide in pdf format

Gel

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:29:17 -0000 someone who may be "Christian McArdle" wrote this:-

That is a matter of how seriously one takes such things. Those who take such things seriously make sure the batteries are functional.

Mains powered smoke alarms on their own circuit can have their fuse withdrawn, or circuit breaker turned off, should one be so inclined.

Reply to
David Hansen

They can, but it happens less frequently. What is absolutely essential is to design a system that NEVER false alarms. Then people aren't tempted to disable them.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Indeed. The ones our FB install are FireX 4830 "DC Powered Ionisation Smoke Alarm Non Removable Long Life Lithium Battery" (from the box) with a 6 year warranty. Tails are provided to link the alarms though the FB wouldn't do the linking (for me; I suppose they might have done for someone not obviously able-bodied and competent). At the end of the alarm's life, the FB comes and replaces it (or them, in our case; they fitted 3).

I'm sorry if other brigades don't do this; I don't know what the capital outlay would be but I'd guess it makes their job much easier. And the cost of losing a fireman from trauma after a failed rescue is probably pretty great...

Douglas de Lacey.

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey