Smashing up a concrete garden path

What's the best thing to use for this? Sledgehammer or some sort of power tool?

Reply to
John Wakefield

Depends if you want to spend money. Your local Hire Company will do you a Kango Hammer (like a small road drill but electric).

No cost option is a sledgehammer. Easiest way is to crack the concrete, then lift a corner with a road spike (strong long bit of metal) & get a friend to hit it with the hammer. It breaks up much easier this way.

Reply to
ksm

This subject was broached on this forum several months ago - might be worth a search on google.

I think you've got a couple of options to consider.

First, the sledgehammer trick is okay if the path isn't terribly substantial and you are fit.

A power tool would be better if you didn't want the hard graft. You should be able to hire one at a local HSS shop for a day or two to get the job done.

Another option might be to split the path into more managable sections (if it is in one continuous lump). Could potentially be done by digging a small hole under the concrete and stuffing with wood, then setting light. Concrete doesn't take too kindly to localised heat (besides which, this was a method used in the old days for attacking a castle).

PoP

PoP

From experience, the easiest way is to put pressure underneath with pickaxe, then give it some welly with a sledgehammer to break paving slab sized lumps off. It really depends on what you have available, and how thick the concrete is. Thinner concrete is easy, just leaver and wack, thicker stuff may require something like an SDS to weaken it; very thick stuff may require a small thermonuclear device, but remember to use ear defenders first.

Reply to
Martin

John Wakefield wrote on Sunday (25/01/2004) :

It depends how substantial the concrete is. It becomes easier once get a working edge. A substantial steel bar to lift an edge up and then a good wallop with a sledge will quickly break it up for you.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Sledgehammer - not a big one though as you'll be knackered in minutes, a smaller one I found easier on the arms. Then wait until a suitable shitty day at work, come home get changed and hammer away. It is easier to get someone to lever it up while you hit it etc. but it will still break up albeit with more effort from just sheer brute ignorance. ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
mark

Sledge and pick. Unless its really thick. If IMM like in its density, kanga or concrete saw, or even mini digger.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought IMM density meant a quick phone call to a US airbase to say you know where Bin Laden is - with a bit of luck there'll be a B52 going overhead dropping a bunker buster..... ;)

PoP

PoP

Harry Bloomfield retched Smashing up a concrete garden path onto my recliner:

I think it'll break the sledge actually. Try a sledgehammer instead.

Reply to
Combine Harvesters are EVil

Bobcat ?

I just found some guy on eBay selling one, whist lieing about its age .......... I was *REALLY* tempted, I am after a bobcat ........

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper