Smartheat Economy7 Control System

I live in an apartment block that uses Economy7 cheap rate electricity to charge my storage heaters up, the system works greatm, however the control system is a mystery.

The system is called Smartheat and uses X10 type switching modules on each stoage heater, there is also one of these on each appliace such as dishwasher and washing machine. There are also a couple of switch modules on the heating elements for the emmersion heater. I beleive these receive their control signals from signals sent in the mains supply. I have a control panel in the hall where you can program what time the normal convection heaters and washing machine/dishwaher turn on.

Now I want to modify the system to include control of a heated towel rail in the bathroom, also one of my control modules has gone faulty and I need a replacement.

Has anyone used this system before and would know where I can get new modules and change the controller to reflect the addition of the new modules.

Thanks in advance

Darren Sellers

Reply to
Darren Sellers

Is the apartment block about 15 years old ?

Any ideas if it was also known as "Electratech" ?

IIRC that specific system* is no longer available (I think the company went bust) and I don`t think there are any direct replacements available

- if its the same system, getting parts for it might be well nigh impossible...

  • I used to work with someone who wrote the manual for it - apparently one of the reset options required opening it up while still on supply and
*carefully* shorting out some terminals...
Reply to
Colin Wilson

Hi.

A towel rail is not a storage device, and doesnt need linking to your E7 system in any way. A timer would be good.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Yep the system is Electratech, and my apartment block is about that old, I've seen Electratech wrote on the curcuit breaker for it. I don't suppose if you know if the control modules on all the storage heaters are compatiable with X10 powerline control. Just a thought !

Also if you know anything about it, how on earth did the control system get programmed with all the room names, such as bedroom 2, dishwasher etc ? Is there a secret menu you can get into on the control unit ? I don't suppose you even know how the dip switch settings on the control modules work, it doesn't look like binary maths to me.

Also the control system controls more than economy 7 systems, it also controls standard panel heaters and dishwasher & washing machine, so thought it would be good to add the heated towell rail if possible.

Thanks for all your help

Reply to
Darren Sellers

Arghhh I think the usual solution is to replace the sodding lot :-/

I don`t know what bits are compatible with it i`m afraid, but i`ll try and get in touch with the one who wrote the manual :-}

As above, i`ll work on getting a copy of the manual if poss :-}

NP :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I`ve had someone else with knowledge of this system second that remark...

First attempt to find it failed, so they`ll have another look around over the next week or so... Can`t promise anything though :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson