Smartcards

Then you'd be wrong.

I'm my employer. My customers usually get a small price reduction. Another point in providing good service to a customer is that it is then easier to justify the requested price.

The price should drop when a) it is untenable in the first place, b) the service offering is not going to be as initially as claimed or c) for cultural reasons - for example people in some countries do expect to receive a large discount.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's daft. why not give them the lower price to start with?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's called negotiation.

Have you never dealt with a purchasing agent?

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's called conning in my book.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The only situation that can be described as conning is when there is a huge discrepancy between the asking price and market price for something and the seller is attempting to claim something that is false or something based on not intending to deliver on what one says.

Why do you think I make such an issue out of the importance of delivering on commitments? It is precisely because I don't expect to have to make any significant price reduction in a transaction. Nevertheless, in a business transaction, it is very common as steps in negotiation to trade price and deliverables back and forth until agreement is reached. The degree to which that happens varies by business by culture and by situation. However, the important thing is that both parties meet their commitments after the agreement is made. Under those circumstances, nobody is conning anybody.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I disagree.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's a matter for you, but it is how the business world works and does not imply any form of less than high integrity relationships.

Reply to
Andy Hall

And transistors :-)

Reply to
Andy Wade

I remember those. Magic!

Reply to
Mary Fisher

boost the buyers ego and you get a better price, everyone knows that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That's one thing, but another is that purchasing agents are often measured/remunerated based on savings that they make for their organisation.

Reply to
Andy Hall

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mary Fisher" saying something like:

Because a haggle leaves everybody happy? You've just said yourself you like haggling.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I didn't. I suggested that what I did was back to haggling. I don't like doing it and won't accept it when I'm selling.

I do like barter which doesn't include coinage.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher