SmartAX MT882 wired router

I have a SmartAX MT882 wired router which a friend gave me, after he had ditched TalkTalk.

I wish to configure it to work on Plus.Net.

I connected the ADSL line and power supply to it, but the ADSL light never lit. I then connected Ethernet cable and went into Firefox and was able to gain admittance to the settings.

I assume that the ADSL light didn't flash because the settings were wrong, am I right ?

If someone could help me with all the settings I would be extremely grateful. It may take a bit of time to get sorted, so I suggest off group communications.

Kindest regards,

Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

Jim,

I typed - SmartAX MT882 - into google and came up with 1,380,000 'hits' (link below, watch the wrap). I've had a very quick look and there may be some help there for you.

you,ve already googled, then ignore this post

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I don't think you'll get it to work. I use a modem supplied by Virgin and also an old one from a previous address, the current one works if I plug it into the line, but the old one doesn't, likewise, f I loan the new one to a freind over the road, it will work in his house, even though he doesn't subscribe to any VM services

Reply to
Phil L

Forgot to add that the old one doesn't work at any address

Reply to
Phil L

Nope. Cos there is no ADSL on the line.

The actual synch to the exchange happens below the password configuration level.

And all the ATM bollocks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There has to be ADSL on the line otherwise I wouldn't be able to use my broadband

Reply to
the_constructor

Cable or ADSL?

Reply to
dennis

Rubbish. Its more likely because he needs to set 0 38 for the adsl side to work on a BT line (assuming they still use that).

Reply to
dennis

Not an expert, but the few I've played with will show the presence of the carrier before being programmed for the individual installation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are a couple of settings that have to be right for the ADSL to work. When a particular box turns it's DSL light on is anyones guess...

But to work on a BT ADSL line the modem needs to be set to:

PPPoA encapsulation, multiplex to VC and Virtual Circuit IDs VPI of 0 and VCI of 38. And of course the correct username and password to login to your ISP.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

sbm$5mp$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

You need to access the router settings itself and make configuration changes. From memory (I think my father-in-law has this router) you can choose USB connection or LAN connection. With a LAN connection I think the address of the router is 192.168.1.2 Key that into your browser (irrespective of whether the broadband is "up" or "down" and you'll be presented with a box for username and password. You can find these via google, and then access the configuration pages to set the ADSL settings for both the carrier (BT) and the ISP (Plusnet) so that they are right. Others have responded to this thread with the settings you'll need to change.

Matt

Reply to
larkim