Smart meters

So what's going on with these?

Why are we getting 50 million meters in half as many households? That's illogical.

How come my neighbour just got their old spinning disk meter replaced with a basic digital meter that isn't smart? They weren't asked about smart meters at all.

I've got a 3 year old digital economy 7 type meter, and I've never been asked.

Is it true that they're pointless, because although they can read the meter remotely, they still have to come out just as often to check them for safety anyway?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

1 x Gas and 1 x electric in most.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

They came to fit me one. But it would not transmit from the meter to my house, so they went away with their (meter0 tails between their legs! As I have no problem with my router, phone and modem working over the distance what are they using 2 cocoa tins and a bit of wet string?

Reply to
Broadback

They have three problems:

a) They may not be compatible with a new supplier. b) They can be used to cut you off. c) They could reveal your usage pattern which is a security issue.

Reply to
Michael Chare

You you really believe that the meter reader is qualified to access any safety issues?

Reply to
alan_m

Remember this is not the Leccy compnanies ... they don't want to do it costing them a fortune ........ it is the eco side of UK Gov ... forcing something through on behalf of Joe Public .... when Joe Public does not need or want it.

This ultimately will cause an increase in your leccy bill - costing man many millions to introduce.

Meter Manufacturers happy & mobile phone providers .. as a SIM will be in each meter.

Reply to
rick

No, it's just easier for them to do, and just as easy to bypass.

No it isn't. Oh look, Mrs Smith does the washing on a Tuesday. So?! That doesn't mean she's in. Most people's heating is gas, so not detectable with an electric meter. And some people like me leave it on 24/7 so you can't tell a thing.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

But it's optional. The customer can say no. Says so in the link.

Aren't they quite hackable? Maybe I want a smart meter after all....

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I have no idea, I've never met one. Maybe they use different people. Maybe it's just the government forcing the electric companies to send them out. Or maybe your definition of safety is over the top and they just check the wires aren't loose - what do you expect them to do?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

+1 And any Joe Public who is at all interested in how much electricity they are using can easyly get a CurrentCost or Owl energy monitor.

Mobile phone signal where our meters are? Don't make eye larf. Ground floor (solid), windowless, 18" thick stone walls and that's after any networks mobile signal being weak. Even if they shifted 'em outside, to where the supply arrives they would be on the wrong side of the house.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I would prefer to argue with a man at the door rather than hot wire an electricity supply, which might then lead to an accusation of theft.

My electricity consumption is clearly less when I am on holiday. If you knew the details of my electricity consumption it would be easy to tell when I am likely to be away.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Sadly, I would expect the energy companies to recover the cost of providing these expensive meters from all their customers, rather than just from those who agree to have them.

Reply to
Michael Chare

No I've asked about them for some time now, and they tell me the roll out has started but its going to take some years. Now some time ago I offered to test them as a blind person but nobody every took me or anything else up on this. It would be a great missed opportunity if the design does not take advantage of the voice chips or indeed the ability to make everything wifi these days. Are we just going to have a meter wiht naff big display and Any user fiddling has to be done the long way around via their web site?

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I have no gas, so they had better be careful they do not assume we all have gas. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

No they are being stupid and not wanting to use the current to make a decent device that works. Who pays for the electricity that the meter uses to get its readings and transmit them. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

But they also can bungle it and cause no end of havoc by allowing people who do not have many brain cells loose on the system. I've never been a fan of anything that a large company can tinker with that can have safety issues myself.

In theroy, the idea is a good one, but there are so many ways to mike it into a pigs ear. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

What safety problems are those? Do you think someone can make your supply go up to 1000V by remote accessing the meter?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Wait till we get power shortages. Rolling blackouts will be easy for them.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Everybody's consumption varies for all sorts of reasons. If I was a burglar I wouldn't take your low consumption as enough proof you weren't in. Better to watch your house for vehicle activity (which most people store outside).

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

My electric company seems to let me choose quite a lot of things and adjust the price accordingly. One of which is if I want green power, which I refused. I'll have the lower priced Nuclear.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265