Smart meters

They are the precursor the the Smart Grid. Which is about encouraging/discouraging people to use electctricity are certain times by charging more/less. ie, when there is plenty of electricity, it will be cheap. When there is a dearth, it will be expensive.

Opportunity for the well informed to save money. Also they will conrol power exported from domestic PV panels/other renewable stuff.

It's comng whether you like it or not. Everyone will have one.

harryagain

Just had an email from my supplier (OVO) saying that a meter needs replacing and giving me an option to have a smart meter.

Are there any down-sides?

Reply to
newshound

Is there an option *not* to have a smart meter?

Reply to
dave

Yes, apparently; it's free either way, but you have to ask for a Smart meter explicitly. It seems to be one "meter" for both gas and electricity (obviously, it must have separate parts).

Reply to
newshound

It's not just your Samsung Smart TV that ought to give you cause for concern...

...Professor Ross Anderson of Cambridge University Computer Laboratories has been banging on about smart meters for years. Read stuff here:

and here:

and here:

..and anywhere else a google search on Ross Anderson Smart Meter may take you

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

In the past 14 months, two out of two factory units with 3-phase smart meters have had them fail, leaving no record of the readings. The older ones with rotating wheel digital displays in the other factories are still going strong.

Reply to
Nightjar

Thanks. Anderson sounds a bit tinfoil hat brigade to me. So how exactly do they communicate? And more to the point, is there some sort of "off-switch" which makes them dumb?

I can see the logic and potential cost saving of automated meter reading. I'm not *that* bothered about having the display, although I suppose it could be useful.

If part of the driver is to set up houses so that "payment defaulters can be switched off at will" then I guess I am a bit more uneasy. Not that I am ever likely to be a payment defaulter, but if that capability does exist one could be a victim of organisational error or, at a pinch, cyber attack.

Reply to
newshound

Sounds like an advantage to me!

Reply to
newshound

Not when the supplier over-estimates the reading and I have to try to get back over £3k they took by direct debit.

Reply to
Nightjar

Are there any advantages?

Reply to
cl

I like the simplicity of getting a bill on about the 3rd of every month, covering the actual consumption of gas and electricity in the previous month.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

You could not be more wrong. He is an excellent computer scientist and his lab has previously demonstrated major cryptographic flaws in PINs,

3D secure and Oyster so what he says needs to be taken seriously.

The ability to read the meter is fairly harmless. But the ability to for example disconnect supply creates a strategic vulnerability.

It is that latter possibility with hostile nation state players doing it that bothers him. He is definitely not tin foil hat brigade...

Reply to
Martin Brown

Can you transfer your supply to another provider? Not all providers can work with foreign smart meters.

Reply to
Tim Watts

+1

plus (if meter is within house) fewer visits from meter readers and less chance of the meter having to be changed again when (if) the compulsory roll-out of smart meters comes around.

Reply to
Robin

Do you like the possibility that, through no fault of your own, your supplies could be turned off by supplier error or malicious hacking of the network by a third party?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I don't get that impression at all, but I think it's unfortunate that they mixed the bit about sensitivity to the "electromagnetic field from smart meters" in there among Anderson's stuff.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Crikey. I've had a non smart digital meter for many years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's what I have without a smart meter. I submit meter readings online on the 21st of the month and a few days later I get an email saying that the PDF bill for the period from the 22nd of the previous month is available for me online. A smart meter would only remove the need for the trivial task of me reading the meters once a month.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

+1 Also I like to keep an eye on monthly consumption so I would probably still be taking readings anyway. Being old school I have an inherent mistrust of (1) anybody putting their hand in my pocket and (2) technology that cannot be trusted. Nick.
Reply to
Nick

Ask them if the meter they are going to supply compatible with other energy suppliers that you may wish to move to in the future. A non-smart meter may mean you have more choice for moving.

Reply to
alan_m