Small surface mount switches, maybe architrave switches?

I'm after some small switches for use on a boat, they will be switching 12 volt lighting so insulation isn't a big issue but they need to be at least 5 amp rating.

Most of them will need to be surface mounted and I'm having a hard time finding anything reasonably small and neat. About the best so far are architrave switches but even these are on the large side for what I want.

One can get really nice compact toggle and rocker switches from the likes of CPC and Farnell but I can't find anything (or think of any way of DIYing) small boxes to mount them in.

Any ideas anyone?

Reply to
tinnews

A small ABS enclosure, a drill, a saw and a file? Although, personally, for a boat I would go for modular process control push buttons, which can be sealed to IP67 and for which enclosures are readily available.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Is this 12V DC?

Beware that the DC current rating will be a lot lower than the AC current rating for a given switch.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

That's 5A DC too. 240V AC switches are generally unreliable for this.

Try CPC for toggles - they have some with decent DC ratings that are quite cheap.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You're talking car stuff, really. Have a look here:-

But most are designed for panel mount. CPC etc should have a range of small boxes which would do. But you'd have to cut the holes yourself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I suppose there are really small ABS boxes available, thanks for the idea.

Can you point me at the process control buttons you are talking about please. Would they need any electronics behind them to actually switch lighting loads?

Reply to
tinnews

Yes, of course it's DC. In general a switch rated at 5A 250v alternating has a similar current rating at 12v direct.

Reply to
tinnews

Yes, I know, that's what I said to start with, but how do I surface mount them, that's the difficult bit.

Reply to
tinnews

They're also exceedingly silly prices for switches. Similar rated switches from CPC and Farnell are a fraction of the price.

Reply to
tinnews

Maplin do switches with the appropriate rating, as well as a range of boxes to mount them in, but you'll need to make your own holes. Halfords and your local motor factor sell rocker and toggle switches rated to cope with car lighting loads, which fit the Maplin boxes with the appropriate holes made. Maplin also sell relays, which will switch the current, and allow you to use any switch you wish,

Don't use switches supplied for marine use, as IME mostly it's caravan stuff being sold at twice the price. So try your local caravan supply shop.

Reply to
John Williamson

Have you checked rapidonline?

BTW I think knife switches are still available, sold mainly for educational use. :)

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Can't you diy a box in ply/solid timber/aluminium/fibreglass?

Surface mounting can imply surface wiring which is not a really good idea as it will almost certainly get damaged.

Switches that work for decades in a caravan, or a car can last just a few weeks in some marine environments. So whatever you do, spend a bit of cash on the switches from an industrial supplier, not far east one-hung-lo cheapies from Maplin or CPC, or as good as *some* of their bits are, an automotive supplier like VWP.

Switches that don't protrude are better if there is any chance of falling against them or they come close to your face when in a bunk so normal toggle switches are usually a no-no except when situated under a cover panel.

Depending on the exposure to the elements pick the highest IP rating you can justify (and afford) from a reputable manufacturer, use crimped ring terminals with adhesive heatshrink round the cable end (rather than push on 1/4 inch crimps) with a smear of silicone grease on all the terminals both used and unused.

Then you'll fit them once and last rather than pissing about with cheap solutions that WILL let you down in the future.

Reply to
The Other Mike

For exactly the same stuff?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is the sort of thing I had in mind. It is an American site, but gives a better idea of the range available than other sites I found.

are 22mm diameter, but there are 16mm diameter and even 9mm switches available if they are too big. Simply Google modular switches.

The 22mm size will normally take up to three modules at the back, which can be contactor blocks, lamps or LEDs. By selecting contactor blocks and actuators you can have any combination of normally open, normally closed or toggle on/off switches with or without illumination. The switches are completely self-contained and need no additional electronics. Some actuators have sealing shrouds that moisture and dust proof them to IP 67.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The first one I looked at 130 volts AC at 6.5 amps or 24 volts DC at

1.5 amps.

You need to be very careful that they are spec'ed for the DC current you expect to switch.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

So go ahead. Use a switch rated at 5A 250V. What you do on your own boat is your business.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

With any modular switching you need to select the modules to suit your application. I used to buy mine from RS Components, but their online catalogue does not give such a clear view of the range. The ones I bought were 5A at 240v AC or 24V DC, but there were lower rated ones.

Colin BIgnell

Reply to
Nightjar

OK, thank you, I can search on from there.

Reply to
tinnews

Well, alright, but in many cases that's true. One just needs to check the ratings.

Reply to
tinnews

All very well but a "switch that doesn't protrude" has to have zero thickness if it's mounted on a panel which is a parition between two exposed areas.

This is a boat for inland waterways, as far as I can tell so far (we've owned it for a year) the environment is very similar to our house in the countrysid in the UK not so far from the sea.

Reply to
tinnews