Small sheves for shoes - ideas?

Hi again folks!

I have a small hall, and my shoes and boots are taking over the floor! I need a shoe rack of some kind, but only have 60cm width of wall space to put it, behind the front door.

I'm having great difficulty finding anything this narrow, and would be prepared to get a small shelving unit this width if necessary - however I can't find one! I don't want to spend loads of cash, cos I'm on a pension!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Barb

Reply to
Barb

Barb presented the following explanation :

Wooden dowel, cut to 5" lengths drilled, then glued into some lengths of 1 x 2" timber so they come out at a 45 deg up angle. Make it either horizontal or vertical, to suit your location. Shoes hang by their heels from the dowel 'pegs'

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I find shoes, especially flat bottomed ones, fall off if the angle is too steep. I'd go for horizontal.

Another option is to do something creative with 1" steel mesh as shelves. Stainless would be cool, but probably costly. Galvanised mesh would work well though.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I got a 4-shelf wire rack for my shoes, 25cm x 35cm x 93cm (high) from a poundstore type of place, cheap - might have even been a quid. Came flat pack and required the use of some language to put together, but it's fine :-)

Check those dodgy plastic buckets and spades places ye mostly find infesting a run-down high street anywhere from gentrified areas, the shops either run by Indians or the Chinese.

Reply to
Adrian C

The metal upright and plug in bracket type of shelving (like "spur" for example - but something light weight and small for this app) would let you have any spacing and width you want. You could use a couple of strips of wood per shelf rather than solid shelves if you prefer.

Sort of like a like a scaled down mini version of:

John Rumm

I made one from thin MDF (5mm I think). As a model I used the inserts which used to go in wine boxes to keep the bottles apart, scaled up to hold a pair of shoes. You take (for example) five vertical sheets and three horizontal sheets. You cut notches in the back of the vertical sheets half way through back to front. You cut notches in the front of the horizontal sheets half way through front to back. The sheets then just slot together to form a set of boxes (just like the cardboard inserts which went inside wine boxes). You need two extra vertical sheets positioned very close to each end to stop the shoes falling out of the end boxes :-) Stand the whole thing on its side and you have a (slightly wobbly) set of pigeon holes to hold shoes. You can add strengthening around the outside if you find it too wobbly.

Depending on your foot size you should be able to make a three sheet + 2 ends (four hole) rack to fit into your 60cms. It is easier if at least one side of the space is a wall to provide additional support because then you can miss out one end sheet.

We have a shoe rack from Argos which might have been ideal - canvas on a metal frame and 50cms wide by 34 cms deep. However I can't find it on the web site at the moment The nearest I can find is

is a completely different design but is 63cms wide. Or
which is 60cms wide. At £14.99 it is not too expensive.

HTH

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Just buy one of these flat pack types from Argos:

any of the other solid pine shoe racks in the range) then

1) Saw the slats down to the required length (remembering to take the end pieces into account when sizing up). 2) Paint it to your desired choice. 3) Assemble it all together.

That's what I did.

Reply to
JA

Any use?

Roger Morton

this any good from Ikea?

60cm wide £12.99
OG

Some great ideas there, folks! Thanks very much for your help!

Barb

Reply to
Barb