Small radio controlled switch?

I've fitted a rather nice steering wheel to the old car which comes with a horn push in the middle. At the moment the horn is activated by pushing the indicator stalk. It would be nice to have the push work as well - but of course this is usually achieved with fairly involved wiring either up the steering column or with slip rings. There's a fair amount of room inside the steering wheel boss, so a battery transmitter and 12 volt receiver elsewhere would be nice. Anyone seen such a device at a reasonable price anywhere? All I've found are IR ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wireless doorbell?

Reply to
John Stumbles

An interesting idea, these are a fairly standard module:-

one time RS used to sell them, I'm not sure if they still do.

Reply to
Bill

old car which comes with a

These ones work particularly well - I have one in my workshop for remote control of the dust extractor etc. The package of keyfob plus a multichannel receiver with relay outputs is ideal for that application - it drives an impulse relay followed by a contactor.

For the horn application, there's more there than needed. However, RF Solutions supply the electronics modules separately for integration into something else.

# RS Stock no. 505-6553 # Manufacturer RF Solutions # Manufact. part no. HIRK-433F

Reply to
andyrdhall

I've got quite a few of the Tx/Rx pairs similar to the ones at

- you are welcome to a couple if you wish.

More details at

Peter Parry

Take a look at suppliers on the car modding scene - I've read of radio remote switches for switching extra (non-road legal) lighting. I can't remember any more detail, it's not my scene.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

No need to go Radio. Align a couple of coils axially with each other so that they couple at all positions of the steering wheel. Drive the fixed coil from an oscillator (555 timer?), and wire the horn button across the steering wheel coil, maybe with a resistor load. Detect the current draw from the oscillator to drive a relay for the horn.

Reply to
Adrian C

Why didn't I think of that? Cheap as chips too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Looks a bit over specified for what I need - but would be ok if cheap enough.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Interesting idea but might be difficult to arrange in practice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They are quite good, and if you get a lot of interference fail inert rather than false triggering. e-mail me your address if you want a couple to play with.

Reply to
Peter Parry

So you blast your horn and some poor sod with the same tx code answers their door? Love it. Leave it set at code 0000 like most people who fit wireless alarms do.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Better still when neighbouring oiks find their doorbell works your horn!

Reply to
John Stumbles

Equally, he can drive along the street pressing his horn and seeing how many doorbells he can ring. That would be every schoolboy's dream for knocking on doors and running away.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Mind, he's running windoze at home now so having kids working his car horn is the least of his security worries 8^)

Reply to
John Stumbles

How long till MOT time Dave? IIRC any horn operaty thingies have to work if fitted, so you may have limited time to work on this.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Still using RISC OS for most things. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It will be in addition to the factory one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)