small kitchens

Whats the smallest kitchen yo have seen (excluding boats) which has included a w/m, f/f. freestanding cooker,sink(of course) and storage unit/units.I'm trying to plan a kithenette and am looking for some ideas for a layout.

Reply to
nthng2snet

Don't Ikea do an all in one unit that's about 1000mm wide that contains a sink, hob and fridge?

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Ah, but would you be risking life and limb paying them a visit? ;-)

Reply to
Broadback

"nthng2snet" wrote | Whats the smallest kitchen yo have seen (excluding boats) which | has included a w/m, f/f. freestanding cooker,sink(of course) and | storage unit/units.I'm trying to plan a kithenette and am looking | for some ideas for a layout.

Washing machine -- this can sometimes go into a (cupboard in a) bathroom or showerroom. (Bathroom converted to a shower often leaves space).

Fridge-freezer is a pain -- I know of no under-counter-height fridge-freezer, only fridges with iceboxes. I'm surprised there isn't a market for a single-unit-wide, under-counter-height f/f, given the increasing number of single-person households.

Freestanding cookers take a lot of space. A hob and a big combi-microwave will do almost everything for one/two persons not into adventurous cooking, except pizza.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If it is a meter long all in one then i imagine its the same as I already have. This is a kitchenette unit comprising of a sink, two electric hobs, and a fridge.This is all in one unit. I was looking to install a fitted kitchen, in full, including an oven as I see the kitchennette unit too small.

Reply to
nthng2snet

I made my first ever visit to Ikea last week - not sure this is something one should boast about? :-) One thing I was very impressed with was the way they had display layouts making use of small spaces. In an area the same as the ground floor room of our gite they had an entire two bedroom apartment! If you are anywhere near them perhaps a visit would give you some ideas?

-- Holly. Holiday home in the Dordogne, website:

Holly, in France

Think caravans. Oh - you want a wm ... back to the drawing board.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The smallest I've lived with was not much more than a large porch at the back. Something like this

|-WWWWW-----| | S / D | U | |-----------| | D BACK |-------| D YARD | F | C | D |-------|DDD|----- | | REST OF HOUSE |

F - Fridge with icebox C - Cooker S/D - Sink/Drainer U - Upright full height cupboard.

There would have been room, just, for a washing machine under the drainer but we had the luxury of a bathroom four times this size with a washing machine plumbed in there.

We didn't take advantage of the space over the fridge for a wall cupboard either. A sideboard in the dining room fof the cutlery and crockery helped too!

Colin

Reply to
Colin Blackburn

I had a moment's panic the other day, read the gas FAQ and then miscalculated my tiny kitchen as being under the 10 cubic metre minimum for gas fitting - presumably the kitchenette shares the volume of the adjoining room when in use ?

... or did I misread the FAQ ?

either way it's likely to need some way to vent heat and vapour

Jeremy

Reply to
brugnospamsia

There are several self-contained kitchenette units sold for use in bed-sits, small factories, etc. at around 1-1.2m long. I've seen the at various times in electrical wholesalers' catalogues, although I can't point you at one right now. You might need to add a freezer though.

Alternatively, go looking for a house in France. You will be offered a variety of places with amazingly small kitchens.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

If you could go slightly wider, then you could maybe use from

(for example)

485/3992 (50cm wide freezer) 485/3961 (50cm wide fridge)

Of course, there is the option of an under-counter freezer, with a "tabletop" fridge, such as 485/3837, mounted over a worktop.

Or

Which I came across would fit even the smallest kitchens.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Colin Bignell wrote | There are several self-contained kitchenette units sold for | use in bed-sits, small factories, etc. at around 1-1.2m | long. I've seen the at various times in electrical | wholesalers' catalogues, although I can't point you at | one right now. You might need to add a freezer though. | Alternatively, go looking for a house in France. You will | be offered a variety of places with amazingly small kitchens.

And French DIY places have quite a wide selection of such kitchenettes. I think in French (and possibly German) flats it's quite common for occupants to leave pipes poking out of the wall and new tenants have to supply their own kitchens.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Ian Stirling" wrote | > Fridge-freezer is a pain -- I know of no under-counter- | > height fridge-freezer, only fridges with iceboxes. | > I'm surprised there isn't a market for a single-unit-wide, | > under-counter-height f/f, given the increasing number | > of single-person households. | If you could go slightly wider,

The gap next to the fridge is where the laser-printer and scanner live :-)

| then you could maybe use from |

(for example) | 485/3992 (50cm wide freezer) | 485/3961 (50cm wide fridge)

Even though theyr'e slightly 'slimline' individually, that's way too much space for a single person living near a supermarket.

| Of course, there is the option of an under-counter freezer, | with a "tabletop" fridge, such as 485/3837, mounted over a | worktop.

I have considered a tabletop fridge and a tabletop freezer, both under the worktop. But they're expensive compared to ordinary products.

| Or

| Which I came across would fit even the smallest kitchens.

I couldn't get a 14" pepperoni pizza in that.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Couldn't find the reference to min 10 m^3 for gas fitting in the FAQ. Could you please point me there?

TIA.

Reply to
NotMe

In no particular order. Ian stirling:The 50cm fridge and freezer is a good idea. If there was a combined 60/40f/f in this width that would be ideal. brugnospamsia:The room is vented via a roof window.I would be interested in your solutions for your mini kitchen. Owain: the kitchen is small the shower room is even smaller so no option apart for w/m in kitchen. Holly:I'm might take a trip to my local store as they have a 'kitchen system' that looks interesting. One thing i'm surprised about is the common reference to small kitchens in France.

Reply to
nthng2snet

"....A word of warning:

Some jobs that look straightforward, for example, fitting an inset gas hob consists essentially of "cut hole, drop in hob, secure, and connect up to gas supply". However, this hides the fact that there is often a stack of standards of be complied with which the installation instructions may or may not tell you about. For instance, in the case of a gas hob the room in question must have a door, window or other vent that can be opened directly to outside air and the room must have a volume of at least 10 cubic metres.

...."

Reply to
brugnospamsia

I didn't say I'd solved my problems.:-(

Even my "comparitively luxurious" 8 ft long x 6 ft wide x 7'6 high kitchen has room for only 4 appliances and no full size oven - just a hob and large combi oven.at eye level. I plan to fit a dishwasher soon to remove the need for a large sink and drainer. The precise layout of the sink area is undecided at the moment.

Storage is a major problem with only 1.5 metres of wall cupboards and an open shelf underneath. I may end up fitting 300mmm deep cupboards along the remaining wall under the window - though I was trying to avoid that as it's so cramped currently with a 21 inch deep sink there.

Many people would make a kitchen/diner in combination with the back room, but it is the best room in my house for HIFI and TV. I plan to move as many kitchen functions (esp. "breakfasty things" ) as possible to the front room and live with the minor inconvenience of carrying stuff the extra 12 feet.

(600kb)

(kitchen lower right)

Jeremy (alias brugmansia alias gentlegreengiant)

Reply to
brugnospamsia

If I'm understanding your plan correctly. I don't know if the doors are actual swing doors, or if it's open plan, and that's just an indication. Lose 50cm of the worktop, put in a 140cm high (or so) fridge/freezer in there. On top of the FF, put a combi microwave oven/grill, and a high level cupboard on top of this, for stuff like cornflake packets that you won't need to hunt in the back often for. (following manufacturers recommendations for venting the oven)

This would only be safe if it was open plan, as you really don't want someone to open the doors when you're getting a roast out.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

"nthng2snet" wrote | Ian stirling:The 50cm fridge and freezer is a good idea. | Owain: the kitchen is small the shower room is even smaller | so no option apart for w/m in kitchen.

The advantage of a single height washing machine in a kitchen is worktop space over it. In other rooms that space is better used as cupboard, so it might even be worthwhile considering the w/m in the bedroom wardrobe. That's where the dirty linen originates after all. And for someone out at work, the w/m can be left on during the day so the noise will not be an issue.

| One thing i'm surprised about is the common reference to small | kitchens in France.

There is a higher proportion of apartment dwellers in France, and in most European countries (and Scotland) than there is in England. Especially in Paris, *very* small flats are created out of the attic rooms originally intended for the 'bonne'.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If there is no door whatsoever (including hanging strips etc.) between the kitchenette and the adjoining room then I think you could reasonably consider the entire space for the calculations.

If there is a door (no matter how much you protest _you_ are going to always leave it open) then:

If the space is less than 5 cubic metres then you can't fit a gas cooker or hob. Period.

If the space is less than 10 cubic metres (a lot of small kitchens are near that value) then you will need a 50cm^2 permanent vent to outside air.

Reply to
Ed Sirett