small fluorescent tube life

Anyone suggest what the life expectancy of a 12" 8W fluorescent tube should be? They seem to be lasting about 6months here with around 12hrs a day use, much less than standard 5' 58W tubes.

Reply to
bof

Osram: 4500 hours "service life", 8000 hours "lifespan".

Philips: Don't say.

GE: Warmwhite 5000 hours "rated life".

GE: Coolwhite 8000 hours "rated life".

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Probably down the to the driver. I've found those small tubes last as well as any other.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I gather some ballasts do treat the tubes poorly.

NT

Reply to
NT

Thanks, the current and previous tubes were Philips, but seems like there's a problem, I can only guess it's with the driver unit.

Reply to
bof

Maybe I'll try another unit, see if there's any improvement, though it may be cheaper just to keep feeding the current one tubes.

Reply to
bof

Looking at small tubes (up to 20W) a couple of days ago, there was in some cases a factor of 2 between electric and electronic, with the latter being better.

Reply to
PeterC

Lots of possibilities. How do they die?

control gear can have two detrimental effects on tube life. Firstly, if it doesn't preheat the electrodes, these will wear significantly at each switch-on. If a tube is switched on for less than about 3 hours each time, tube life is generally limited by the number of switch-ons rather than operating period. Secondly, the current waveform (or more specifically, the "crest factor") has an impact on the electrode life whilst the tube is running. Good control gear has a low crest factor. Crappy high frequency control gear (such as in a cheap torch) often has a high crest factor and will wear a tube out quickly.

There are also lots of low quality tubes around in these sizes, where there are many uses such as emergency lighting where the tubes will never be operated long enough to reach end of life, so short life doesn't matter.

What sort of control gear (or fitting) is it in?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Bog standard (I assume) electronic mains powered surface mount white box, pretty non descript really.

Reply to
bof

Not enough info to provide a useful answer.

Most of these I see are still mains magnetic ballasts and a starter. Only tend to find electronic control gear in those with very slim bodies (similar profile to the tube itself).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

From limited searching, it would seem to be worth getting the electronic ballast as the life of the tube can be twice as long as with the old type of ballast. Old-type ballast are a bit like NiCd batteries: still hanging around although long superseded.

Reply to
PeterC

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

Are they any good? Fitted an "Eterna" one from B&Q (intended for under- cupboard use in kitchens) in a display in a local pub a few weeks ago, it's probably on 12 hours a day, and has already failed.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I've fitted a few "Eterna"s, and no failures yet. I would not expect them to be same quality as Orsam, Philips, Tridonic, Helvar, etc ballasts, but it should last longer than that.

I fitted many of the Omnicron ones before they vanished. These fail to shutdown when the tube dies, and carry on running the tube in cold cathode mode, until the heat melts through the glass or makes the lampholder melt and drop the tube out (both of which have happened). I could imagine them starting a fire if fitted close to something combustable.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

Thanks. Have a replacement tube but not yet fitted it.

Yes :) I've used more expensive fireworks which lasted longer.

Lovely. One to look out for.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson