Small annoying problem: picture hooks and stone walls.

I've just moved into a flat with stone outer walls (19thC converted Church building) and normal (1990s) partitions inside. I bought some picture hooks and there's no problem with partition walls, but no way are they going into the stone. These were cheap, soft nails (from WHSmiths) and I remember once buying some with what appeared to be hardened nails of some kind (maybe at John Lewis).

It's a small problem, but to stop me knocking holes in my walls, can anyone suggest the right way to put picture hooks into those outer walls? Thanks.

--------------- To email go to my address and take out the dog...

Reply to
JimGC

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:01:42 GMT, JimGC strung together this:

You'll be needing a drill then.

Reply to
Lurch

These work well into hard surfaces:-

John Rumm

Drilling is the only option. Drill, plug, screw.

Reply to
Grunff

Depends on the stone... limestone would be OK, but granite might be more of a challenge. ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Ok, fair point. If it's limestone, or a soft sandstone, then maybe.

Reply to
Grunff

You still can't hammer into stone (maybe freshly mined Bath stone) It's not elastic - if you do get the nail in, you'll crack the block..

The triple nail sort are OK for something light enough to hang off plaster, but IMHO you're better off drilling and using either a screw, or a dowel plug to take a nailed picture hook.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You'll need a 3 mm masonry drill for stone. You can't hammer things into stone or you chip the facing off it very easily. Best to drill a small diameter hole and use a bit of match stick or whittled down wood to make a plug. Then you hammer in normal picture hook nails till your hearts content.

Reply to
BigWallop

Car body filler.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

WOW! I love this group! I had expected someone to write and say, this is too small a problem for us to concern ourselves with, instead, I've had lots of helpful replies, thanks.

Okay, it looks like drilling on the outer walls is probably best. The previous owner has taken a few chips out of the wall, and that is what I was hoping to avoid...

Cheers.

Reply to
JimGC

Go to your local electrical wholsaler, ask for a box of wall plugs, for use with nailed cable clips. Drill plug and use your picture nails....

Reply to
James Salisbury

Didn't know these existed, so thanks...

Reply to
JimGC

Yup, very handy they are as well. I had to clip a cable to a reinforced concrete gravel board at the base of a fence. Drilled a small hole with a SDS drill, taped the pin plug in and nail the clip straight into it.

You can also sometimes find hot melt plug sticks for a glue gun. You simply pump the goo into the hole until full, wait until cool and then nail straight into it.

Reply to
John Rumm

hit the hook which snaps all to easily.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Of course, you could always glue a hook onto the wall with ... no more nails

Reply to
raden