Small air compressor query

I'm getting myself a small air grinder for wood piercing work. It runs about 7 bar and 4cfm - what capacity of compressor do I need ? Usage will be low and I can put it away from the working place so what is recommended at a reasonable price. Other use will be doing the occasional car or bike tyre.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

If you want to run it continuously, then 4 cubic feet per minute or more.

First one on this list?

checking eBay for new or secondhand

Newshound

>> Worth checking eBay for new or secondhand

You need to be very careful indeed with compressor specs. Often the air flow rate is not quoted at the maximum pressure. If you are only using the tool for short periods, a lower capability but high enough pressure compressor can be used with a larger tank - eg an old gas cylinder provided you allow time for it to get up to pressure.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks both of you. Bob, it's probably worth asking this question on UKWS now that I think of it; I've not done any piercing and don't know how continuous the use is.

One of the purposes of the question was to find out opinions on the cheap Clark compressors and the ilk.

Rob.

Reply to
robgraham

On 19/12/2011 20:52, robgraham wrote: ...

It is a long time since I bought a compressor, but a reconditioned Hydrovane used to be very good value for money. They are relatively quiet and, even without an accumulator, give a smooth supply of air.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Lovely kit, but they seem pricey for average domestic use now

Newshound