Slug invasion

My kitchen seems to be invaded by slugs. One night I saw 5 of them.

Anyone know how to stop them getting in? I'm on the verge of ripping my kitchen out and blocking any holes thay can get in through (which are currently covered by cupbards etc..).

Cheers

Reply to
stevelikesapint

Probably better off finding the damp place they are living in. It is entirely possible they came in on produce or house plants when tiny and are finding things to eat. So I would sort out how they are continuing to live and grow first.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Have a look behind your washer or rising main. Sounds like a slow leak somewhere. If you've got a good dehumidifier switch it on a for at least 48 hours.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

They can come up the sink waste if you have an S bend, I don't know how but I've seen it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mine too. Only 2 in a night so far.

I'm in north Kent - where are you?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They follow the trails they made the night before, so if you can properly scrub clean the trails, at least on the outside of where they might be getting in, it should stop them for a good while.

auctions

That sounds like a chicken and egg situation!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Miles away - Manchester.

Reply to
stevelikesapint

We get them occasionally coming in on the coat of a long haired cat. I'm surprised that you can't work out where they are hiding from the trails. Then it's piles of salt for ours.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Yeah... that's the best bit. Watching them swell and go pop.

Bloody things are just snails without the marketing.

I'm using copper bands around various plants in the garden which seems to work quite well. It would need quite a lot to go around a house, though.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The OP probably lives near a field that had rape growing in it. This time of year the crop is poisoned and the seed harvested. So maybe they came from there?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

They're not the same slugs, obviously :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I was just looking for a national slug outbreak - seems like there is:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No, there's a national wet weather outbreak :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Spread slug pellets around, both in the kitchen and outside.

Reply to
Alan Holmes

How can you be sure?

Reply to