Slow electric gates in winter

Now that summer is with us I need to do something about my old electric gates. They get slower as the temperature drops and I am guessing it's either lack of lubrication or brushes. Does anybody have any experience of this problem? Motors are underground 230v AC 400w with (supposedly) oil filled gearboxes. Thanks for any replies. A.

Reply to
Adrian

Sounds like the oil, or perhaps some lubricating grease, getting thicker as the temperature falls.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .me.uk>"

Thanks Colin, sounds more like this than the brushes. Does grease age or do you think it's water ingress? A.

Reply to
Adrian

No, it's just that its viscosity increases as the temperature decreases.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Some do or it could be corrosion. Only way to find out is to remove, strip clean and re lubricate as required.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It is more likely that it is just getting thicker as the temperature falls, creating more resistance to the gates moving. However, as Dave says, the only way to be sure is to strip it down and overhaul it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Thanks for your advice chaps. Will report the cause when I've sorted it. A.

Reply to
Adrian

Are the external hinges and linkages lubricated?

Reply to
John

Yes they have been since they are easily accessible. What puzzles me is that both motors are showing identical temperature related slowing and I am unconvinced that lubrication failure/corrosion has occurred in both identically. I was more convinced that the brushes (which would have worn identically) are on the edge and the temperature reduces the pressure on the commutator applied by the springs...but we'll see. Thanks. A.

Reply to
Adrian