Slotted concrete fence posts ???

I've got a steep slope that needs 12 inch concrete gravel boards, and I need 6ft high panels.

The local DIY superstore only stocks 8ft long concrete slotted posts.

That would only leave 1ft in the ground ???

Is this in order, bearing in mind that the post would be concreted in.

Or would I have to dig the hole 2 ft deep and fill in the bottom 1ft of the hole with concrete. Then post on top, infilled with concrete. Or would that not be to secure ???

How does everyone else do it ???

TIA

Reply to
gray

I would suggest finding a local fencing supplier and buying 9 foot post. they are available, I have had these fitted around my garden.

Dave

Reply to
dave

I would think, if you can't get a 9ft post, that your last scenario would be OK. Certainly 1 foot of post in 1 foot of concrete sounds too little, but 1 foot of post in 2 foot of concrete would be ( sucks finger ) good enough for most scenarios. As a safeguard , you could try using a strongish concrete mix. The concrete post will have reinforcing bar running down it, so it will be a lot stronger than your concrete base, and the only failure mode I can envisage is the concrete base splitting under a severe wind load, so that's why I suggest a strong mix, and it's no more trouble for you.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Skip the local B&Q, and visit a fencing company.

I suggest you pay extra and get the lightweight ones, cause its gonna save you pulling your back.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I second that.

I've just removed 12 of the eight foot ones, which had lumps of concrete on the bottom. I took the option of breaking them in half, and angle-grinding through the metal reinforcing bar to make them more manageable (ie: luggable into a skip). These were 18 inches into a block of concrete, which measured about 20 inches deep and about 12 inches diameter. They were supporting a six-foot fence panel: they blew over earlier this year, even before the panel popped out.

Regards Paul

Reply to
Paul Boakes