Slightly raising part of a concrete garage floor

I need to build up the level of my concrete garage floor in the vicinity of the door, to remove a small inwards slope which starts just outside the garage. The added height will vary from about 35mm to a feather edge. This is to minimise water running past the seal on the door. The options I can think of are:

  1. Use concrete / mortar (+PVA?) to raise the level of the concrete (I am aware this will probably be too thin and may crack)

  1. Use epoxy mortar (very expensive even for small quantities)

  2. Floor levelling compound used dryish so that it doesn't level (probably only intended for internal use).

  1. Break up some of the existing concrete so the new concrete is reasonable thick. (more work).

Does anyone have any comments - I am seeking a reasonable, but not perfect result.

James

Reply to
James

You can use normal sand/cement, but it will crack away if feathered out to nothing.

To get past this, you can slice a cut in the concrete where you estimate the new mortar will stop, about an inch or so deep, then use a breaker on the side of the cut nearest to the garage doors, so that the edge of the new mortar is thicker right up to where it meets the concrete.

An easier option is to bolt down to the concrete (in place of the cut) a length of angle iron, maybe an inch and half by an inch and half, then use this as a starting point, working your way downwards towards the door....the obvious drawback is that there is an inch and half step, which is a trip hazzard, although almost all pvc doors have a step this height and I've never heard of anyone tripping over them.

Reply to
Phil L

It wouldn't be appropriate for a garage floor - even for use in a house it is recommended that a floor covering is put down ASAP after it's set.

David

Reply to
Lobster