Slightly OT - Wheely bin compactors

Dave Liquorice wibbled on Friday 13 November 2009 14:25

Yes. Or the council will notice too many in use and start to devise a devious plan to negate their use (smaller bins and a free compactor for everyone?)

Yes, for those of us who are lucky to have a garden the compost heap does take a decent amount of what falls out of a kitchen (assuming you don;t live of micromeals).

We don't really have a local supermarket - I buy online from Sainsburys once per week - don't think the bloke will like being offered my cardboard ;->

Reply to
Tim W

We have two-weekly collections, but I've never found the volume of rubbish an issue.

black bin for general rubbish, but never seems to get anywhere near full unless we have been having a bit of a clear out of somewhere.

blue bin for recyclables, I can sometimes fill this up, usually if there is lots of cardboard. but they will take extra stuff as well as long as sensibly put out say all in another box or somesuch. Or soem cardboard goes on the compost.

Green bin for organic waste. Will take all sorts of food kitchen waste including meat, bones etc. And shredded paper. But mostly we compost our stuff.

Glass goes to the bottle bank, other than that the mosty obvious thing missing from recycling is the rigid plastic used for trays, pots etc. no. 5 -polyproplene?

Reply to
chris French

the compactor, I've got big boots that will do that well enough, but I would love that pedal-operated lid add-on

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Works for me. You'll be surprised how many times you can get published... My local free paper gives vouchers for a local pub for letter of the week. Well worth an email! :)

No and it shouldn't be a huge issue for them to pull their finger out and recycle more.

Reply to
mogga

A couple of families on our street have several black bins (one actually has two big ones and then a little one... and they go out every fortnight. ) I don't know how they do it.

Reply to
mogga

We seem to be okay. 5 flats share 4 grey wheeliebins for general waste, collected fortnightly, and 1 brown bin for cardboard and garden waste. Metals, glass, some plastics, paper goes in blue box (weekly) and there are also food caddies for kitchen waste which can go into the blue box. So far it's worked but I think we might need more bins come Xmas week; we have 1 grey and 2 brown bins stored in the back garden not used, because there are only so many bins can go in the front area.

Alcohol bottles and cans seem to make most of the neighbour's recycling.

Tetra-paks seem to be the main thing we can't recycle - yet; and small electrical things are supposed to be able to go in the blue box in the near future too.

However I have seen multiple large screen CRT tellies, lounge suites, etc, all dumped on pavements.

Owain

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I guess they chuck everything into the bags and don't bother squishing or collapsing stuff first. All our tins fit inside a 1kg spread tub, if they wern't squished they'd take up half of the green box...

Our general waste blue bag is rarely more than 1/4 full after a week. Sometimes don't bother putting it out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Commiserations. I have to say that Allerdale (Cumbria) where I live are absolutely fabulous about bins. (They have their crap points too of course.)

Three Bins:

Big Green one for Compostable Garden stuff. I put small trees in it. Small Green one for any paper or card. SWMBO has a Fairtade stall at church, lotsa cardboard. Small Black one for Landfill stuff.

Collection: black every week, green bins alternate.

They also run the most fantastic modern recycling centre I have ever seen at Flusco, near Penrith. With helpful friendly staff who fall over themselves to help you get it right, and muscle things out of the car. If you are in the Lakes on holiday, it's almost worth a visit!

We find it hard (two people) to put more than one swing-bin liner in the black bin - mostly it's over-packaged food containers that can't be cleaned for recycling (and dead CLS bulbs - no only kidding). We do collect all the cans, glass and plastics to take to Flusco when we are passing anyway - it's a joy to visit it with a car load. And the council gave us a plastic composter for the garden, so all the waste green food goes in there as well as some grass cuttings.

I kept filling the Garden bin, so I rang the council, who's response was 'OK, we'll send you a second one' - two days later it arrived.

Guys, move to Allerdale! Or at least send your councillors here for some education.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

chris French wibbled on Friday 13 November 2009 15:46

Do you live in Harrow? I saw that blue bin system there - seemed like a brilliant idea.

Reply to
Tim W

Our lot (Dartford) have 3 bins. Green....General crap. Grey.... Paper, Card, tins, etc etc Black (Smallest at 20l !) Bottles and NO tin lids.

Green.....Refuse truck. Grey and black in same "Enviro" truck.

Black. Either truck depends who's there first and the lazy wankers chuck it onto my garden resulting in damage to plants. Compensation from the subbys is a monthly claim, and they pay FFS !

*ALL* garden and kitchen waste goes on the compost for next years garden additions

TheOldFellow wibbled on Friday 13 November 2009 18:36

To be fair, Rother have very helpful Council Tax dept (despite the fact they want too much money for too little service!) and the BCO is really nice. Tunbridge Wells have fairly good refuse services but are crapheads in

*many* other respects, especially with respect to slapping car parking charges everywhere and anytime.

Our local dump has the most helpful staff in the world, for a tiny site. It's only the household pickup service that's s**te. At least they also intercept and re-sell small furniture and interesting niknaks, which T Wells never did. They have quite a side stall of interesting stuff.

Car load is a problem - I don't (yet) have the dry storage for building up a car load of recycling, and after the abuse the car has had with building and moving, I don't want to hurt it anymore with wet muddy crates of stuff...

Yeah - I love running compost heaps. And the garden loves it too...

You'd better get the cattle prods ready for our lot.

Reply to
Tim W

In message , Tim W writes

No, Huntingdonshire.

Reply to
Chris French

Good company. Guess who the Kent area installer for their patio awnings is :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just next door in Medway we have black sacks for general rubbish, collected weekly, blue sacks for recycling tins, cardboard, bottles etc, collected fortnightly & 1 brown bin for garden waste, collected alternate fortnights.

Black sacks - refuse truck, blue sacks & brown bin, same truck, different weeks.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They also sell this:

"You only need one unit to cover the whole circuit in your home as soon as you plug it in. The Energy Reducer give an average saving of 3 to 4kwh per day, based on electrical consumption of 30kwh per day. . The Energy Reducer can improve the safety of your electrical equipment in your home. By reducing the overheating of electrical wiring and decreasing the amount of wiring and copper loss, it helps make your home a safer place to be. The Energy Reducer works by combining correction and filtration methods. It enhances the voltage and current output, which in turn reduces the total current extracted from the mains."

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Owain wibbled on Friday 13 November 2009 21:35

It seems to be karma at work. They have to have some bollocks to balance the goodness? Sort of like how the british railways balances the karma of the swiss railways.

Reply to
Tim W

I remember reading a newspaper story a year or two ago about a guy who died after falling while jumping on the rubbish in his wheely bin.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Fifteen quid at Maplin.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

£12.50 at this previously mentioned site.
mark

30kWhr/day thats going some for an ordinary household... We are about 20kWHr/day with people home all day and cook by 'lectric. I guess if you have E7 and/or heat bulk water by electric you could get to that.

I'm sorely tempted to get one for fun and as I have a Current Cost power meter and log the data from that I know what our historical power consumption really is. 10% of 20kWHrs is 2kWHrs that would be very obvious and a 10% saving would be over =A370/year.

If I did get one I'd be *very* surprised to see any change at all.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice