Slightly OT: strong foldable stool sought

Hi all The MIL wants to get rid of her perfectly decent 'Library Step-stool' for reaching things in the kitchen and replace it with a JML 'Blu Step' stool:

The main reason seems to be that the latter is more 'tidy-awayable'.

I've had a look at the Blu-Step and (unsurprisingly for a JML product) they are a bit on the small and flimsy side. Can you suggest a stronger version of a foldable stool a bit like this?

Thanks J^n

Reply to
Jon Nicoll

Truly ghastly. But don't worry for a while - "This product is not currently available. Please check back later"!

We actually have a "BEKVÄM" Step stool (£7.99).

It does NOT fold. But it is real, solid beech wood (albeit connected with Confirmat screws rather than 'proper' joints or whatever). Seems very strong. A bit too heavy - and partner simply cannot lift and move it as needed. So we too would like something to do the same job - preferably not blue plastic, quite light and not too expensive!

Reply to
Rod

We have a 'Rubbermaid' folding plastic stool like this

but ours is blue. Very strong, takes my manly bulk no problem.

No idea where we go it unfortunately......

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Lakeland have one ref no 5591 at =A316.99 a pop. It claims to hold up to =

=A3150kg !

I got a nice slimline 2 step stool which folds away to the size of a=20 chopping board, I think it was from lakeland too but it was many years ag= o.

similar to this:

this:

has done sterling service for many years and I am in no way sylph=20 like (more like Romanian shot putter).

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

Was that Ian or Hilda?

Reply to
Rod

I also have one of those - it carries my 17 st without a problem.

But it is much larger than the JML step, and takes up a lot of room even when folded.

Reply to
Bruce

looks good, probably a lot better than the one from JML, whose products seem to epitomise the term "cheap and nasty", even though they aren't always cheap.

Reply to
Bruce

I'm afraid it's hilda Ian is more of a sylph (with a beer gut!)

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

If I hadn't asked, I 'd have been wondering for ever more. :-)

Reply to
Rod

I wanted to ask, but wasn't sure how to politely!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I was just too nosey not to! :-)

Reply to
Rod

Having looked at the video on the Woolworths site, I think the JML step is actually a lot better made than the still photo suggests.

It's worth watching the video, here:

Bruce

Hi all Thanks for all the comments & suggestions.

The Lakeland one looks like the original that (I presume) has been copied by JML. The size seems very similar, which makes it a bit on the small size for my purpose.

I quite like the look of this these two FWIW:

and might try to find a local stockist.

HTH J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

Here's another one, quite similar: don't know anything about it other than what you can see here:

David

Reply to
Lobster

Lakeland do a folding step, not sure how robust it would be, but Lakeland products tend to be pretty much okay:

there's a variety of metal folding steps at:

Anne Jackson

I actually saw what I think is the Lakeland one (certainly said 300 lb load and did not have 'JML' on it) in a shop the other day. I was suprised:

How neat it is; How easily it collapses as you pick it up (and uncollapses as you put it down); How sturdy it feels (though I did not stand on it); How small it is - just doesn't look to be enough space for two proper feet!

However, I do not withdraw my "Truly ghastly." remark. IMHO - it is.

Reply to
Rod

The message from Rod contains these words:

One of my old ladies has what I would describe as a _proper_ step stool. It looks as if it was made by a company that makes ladders, but it also looks as if it were 30 or 40 years old - so they (whoever 'they' are) probably don't make them any more.

Her and her husband were caravanners, so it may even have been from their caravan equipment.

Reply to
Anne Jackson

So do you have a lot of them? Do you collect them or something?

David

Reply to
Lobster

No, I look after them.