Slightly OT: Street Recabling

I guess that any three-phase customers might have a few problems ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

That is the perfect scenario for a Type 2 surge protection device at the incomer/consumer unit. If you are worried about losing plug-in equipment, a Type 3, socket outlet/extension lead, will protect that piece of equipment. Type 2 is preferable.

Reply to
A.Lee

Switch off. Isolate. Dump. Earth...

On the safe side..

here yer go!...

tony sayer

I was working in an office some years ago when 1/3 of the lights and PCs kept going off. It turned out to be a faulty cable in the street and they deposited a container sized generator there and connected up to that until they fixed it at the weekend.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I have worked on that stuff myself back in the 60's. We even replaced short bits of it. But not bus bars, it was VIR cable laid on little porcelain stands.

Reply to
harry

Public Information Films, they are online somewhere, here we are:

The wording contradicts itself:

"For the first time on The National Archives' website you can view complete public information films from 1945 -2006. Joining with the Central Office of Information (COI) to celebrate their 60th Anniversary, we have featured a selection some of the most memorable and influential COI public information films that cover some fasinating events from Britain's post-war history."

So I'm not sure if they are all there or not.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The individual films that are there are complete - but the collection isn't?

Reply to
polygonum

No collection would be complete without:

Apellation Controlee

ie the whole film not just a clip

the web-page is not a complete catalogue.

So, you probably need to dig deep into the catalogue to find them all.

Reply to
djc

and above.

Oh no. Did you have to mention that?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

He's been quiet recently. I think crying wolf in my sig might have helped!

Reply to
Bob Eager

11kv and above.

Is "serge protection" anything to do with wearing a traditional overcoat?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Possibly I've mentioned this before, but there's an 11kv underground feed from a pole about 1/4 mile away, the U/G cables being laid only a couple of inches below the flags (and probably tarmac and asphalt). Whilst the cable was being tested and replaced (in part) as a result of a fault, I suffered no interruption to my supply. I queried this with another sparky pottering around the S/S (just around the corner) just the other day, and he said that they sometimes use a lv (post transformer) link from another nearby S/S.

Apparently the nearby (ca. 50 yds) S/S was until fairly recently 20kv.

I was quite impressed by the TDR being used to help to locate the original fault a year or two ago. f

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I'm obliged to comment, I have no idea what you're on about. Except that you mangled w2hat I wrote

Reply to
Broadland Wanderer

If your comment is aimed at me, I have no idea what you're going on about. It's true I dropped out of NG posting for a while, that was a matter of choice.

Reply to
Broadland Wanderer

mangled w2hat I wrote

He's trying to avoid invoking one of the mad people on Usenet who searches for all references to lyghtnyng (deliberate misspelling) and pops up in those threads with his lunacy.

Reply to
Huge

Ah, I understand. Thanks.

Reply to
Broadland Wanderer

It wasn't aimed at you.....as you will realise....it's the guy who talks about the stuff in the last line of my sig.

Reply to
Bob Eager