Slightly OT: Spilt Milk

Now that I have finished crying over it and a few days have passed I have a very smelly carpet. I tried valiantly at the time to clean it up, but to no avail judging by the smell. Does anyone have any DIY techniques of removing (rather than just masking) the smell, or is it a call someone in job, and if so any advice as to what to look for in the service?

Reply to
Cod Roe

It's caused by bacteria, so a good disinfectant should get rid of a lot of the smell.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Cod Roe saying something like:

Try brushing some bicarb of soda into it and leave it overnight. Hoover up in the morning. If it doesn't work it's cost you next to nothing.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Try white vinegar first if that does not work try paraffin.

Reply to
Adebisi

After you have wet cleaned the carpet as much as possible, use Febreeze. This does much more than mask smells and is really effective.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Paraffin? Are you mad?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Nip down to B&Q or Homebase & hire a Rug Doctor machine to clean the carpet, probably needs it anyway. You can get an odour nuetraliser as well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Bit of washing powder in warm water.

Dry by standing on a towel folded over the damp bit. Refold towel until it remains dry.

Reply to
Mogga

^ biological

Reply to
Huge

It works, and is what is used in many garages to get spilt milk smells out of cars.

Reply to
Adebisi

I've spent years selling machines & chemicals to valeters and I was one for a while - I've never heard of it being used. It would stink the car out surely?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman