Slightly OT: Petrol or Diesel?

Why on earth would you go to a franchised dealer for _anything_ other than warranty claims, anyway?

A small village garage I used to know well did all the MOTs for the local big-name chain BMW dealer, anyway - just wasn't worth 45min of their workshop for the capped price.

Reply to
Adrian

It was a long story, but essentially I wanted excellent customer service. The dealer is part of a group who have been excellent in the past, in other branches, and just 'sort stuff out at reasonable cost' , supply courtesy cars and I was due to go into hospital to get a bollock removed two days later.

Instead of the hassle free experience I had a bloody nightmare.

So post op instead of resting and enjoying the pain killers, I was rushing around dealing with garages and having to drive the spare car around. And then there was the chemo..

tends to be the way.

When the VOSA man came he just drove me home,. left me there, and collected me when he had finished. And I drove it back. All at the nearest MOT station. Rather nice of him

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Once, when using a non-franchised dealer, I got charged for time and mileage to collect the necessary part - from the franched dealer's stores.

Reply to
charles

Is that 1.7 the SDI? Found in the VW Lupo, Seat Arosa and a few others?

Reply to
gremlin_95

I believe so.

Its no longer and option for skodas - all turbo.

Its the best 'pensioners' engine there is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The AA think "Catalytic converters (CATs) have been fitted in the exhaust of the majority of petrol cars manufactured since 1992 and diesel cars since 2001".

I know diesels can go a long time, but I think you'll find that mainly they *do* have cats.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

The AA are wrong.

DPFs, maybe, to the majority of diesels since '01. But they're not cats.

Reply to
Adrian

Think you're wrong Adrian. DPFs are relatively recent devices but oxidation cats have been fitted to many diesels for years.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+