Slightly OT ?, Nocturnal visitor

I appear to have a nocturnal visitor, I think either a snail or slug which is exploring the kitchen at night (I'm finding a trail on the floor each morning).

Apart from borrowing a hedgehog, what is the best way of disposing of it.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Slug pellets. Unless you actually see it, in which case...salt shaker.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , Bob Eager writes

I've already try putting down salt (on sheets of paper), but it hasn't taken the bait. Looks like slug pellets.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

They won't *take* salt, just avoid it, so it can make a barrier.

Reply to
Bob Eager

courtesy of our long haired cat.

If you do succeed in finding a solution please let us know as I've tried all the suggested cures without any success whatsoever. In due course circumstances occur that the slug and one of the family are at the same place at the same time and the offender gets ejected - it's just as well the slugs aren't any larger or that could be the family member !!

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

Yes, our previous cat (Maine Coon) put one in the bed once!

We cut it down a great deal by putting down slug pellets outside occasionally. This was possible because (a) the cat wouldn't touch them and (b) you scatter them thinly so it's a majpr task for anything else to eat a lot of them.

Latest cat is short haired so that at least is eliminated.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Slugs not snails, I'd suspect. Slug pellets. And/or wash the floors more often, including under the fridge and the units!

Reply to
newshound

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Jules

You don't happen to have a cat and cat flap do you ?

We used to get them on a regular basis, caused by the cat bringing them in on its' fur, and depositing them wherever they fell off...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Follow the trail and block the entrance. Dont use slug pellets, the unintentional deaths they cause are sad and unnecessary

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Diatomaceous earth, sprinkled where you've found the trails, and around the perimeter of the room.

Reply to
S Viemeister

In article , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

Bollocks. Thanks to slug pellets, my hostias stand a chance of flowering before being eaten alive this year.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

A dish with steep sides like a dog bowl with some beer in it.

Reply to
EricP

In article , Colin Wilson writes

No moggie, and hence no moggie flap.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

That is the odd thing, there is no obvious start or finish to the trail. No kids or pets in the house, so I think if pellets are left in the house then they are only like to be taken by uninvited visitors.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Take a look on the green gardener web site, I'm sure that they do a nematode that kills them. Just taken a look and they do. Top row middle panel.

Otherwise, get the angle grinder out. Every time you get one, it should end up in next door's garden with fatal wounds :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Blocking the way in.

I used to find them occasionally. When I came to gut and refit the bathroom, I found a hole through the wall which would have been for the bath runaway from an older bath whose plug must have been in a different position (before my time there). Not visible outside as it was pretty much level with the soil and hidden byt a line of grass/weeds which grew against the wall.

Anyway, after mortaring it some 7 years ago, never seen another slug indoors.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

then the hedgehogs eat the slugs and die, then you get far more slugs next year, not less.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Something else the cat brings in now and again. Everything sticks to the long haired varieties

Reply to
Stuart Noble