Slightly OT - Learner driver insurance

That is why I said occupants and not driver. The occupants are a 3rd party.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It's advisable not to drive home after passing a test anyway, as the elation can be very distracting - supposedly it's not all that rare an occurrence to either crash, be done or even banned for something on the way home!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Fair point - subtle distinction I missed 1st time !

Reply to
Jethro

Last time we checked (we had an 10yo micra at the time -- worth little) it was more expensive TP (not sure about F&T) than comprehensive. Shortly afterwards we did have a claim for almost the full value of the car (covered because we still had comp) when one of the children drove into the back of a car turning right. It didn't seem to affect her insurability, but it hit my NCB!

Reply to
<me9

Indeed. I'd expect even TP would be too expensive for many teenagers.

Ugh! We're not letting the kids drive our car.

Reply to
Mark

It's a mix of the two, otherwise fully comp would not (generally) be more expensive than TP[1].

It's one of the factors but not the whole story.

[1] Although, for low risk cars & drivers, fully comp can be cheaper than TPFT.
Reply to
Mark

Why? Both myself and SWMBO are insured to drive my car but we are rarely in it at the same time.

Reply to
Mark

IIRC statistically you are most likely to have a crash within the first month of passing your test. Therefore you should refrain from driving for a month ;-)

Reply to
Mark

You're trying to work backwards from what the stats say, to your personal situation ... the stats will say a 2-person policy is a lower risk to the insurer. They don't say *why*.

Reply to
Jethro

Hmmm, possibly there is evidence that *some* people insured FC drive more carefully than those that don't ...

Reply to
Jethro

When I passed my test, the instructor insisted on driving me home - well, to the station, actually, as I was on my way to work (late morning).

I needed the licence for the job, which resulted from a career change following redundancy.

Apart from the obvious congratulations, nothing else happened until five o'clock, when a colleague was instructed to drive me to a garage in Stepney, where I took delivery of a brand new Escort van ...

So, my first solo drive started at the height of the rush hour on a dark October night. From the garage, I turned into a side street, then joined the A13 - which was jammed solid! I recall that my first mile solo took 28 minutes ...!

One thing I wasn't prepared for was the motor-cyclists oozing between the lanes of traffic with an endless stream of headlights filling, on occasions, both mirrors.

Talk about a baptism of fire! I've always been surprised that I didn't arrive home a gibbering wreck!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Fully comp on an old car with a large excess, isn't likely to cost the insurance company much more than TPFT if there is a claim, The TP element will be the same in any case, and if there is no third party its may not be worth the loss of NCB to claim

Reply to
djc

Hmmm. My son is here tonight, so I asked him who you should go to for learner insurance. (he's 25. Obviously I'm 39...).

He suggested your bank manager :(

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

this in the paper the other week and made a note of it for my own little cherub in April.

Reply to
mogga

Which bit of the small print did you not read? It's a Metro reader offer valid until 31st Jan.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

In that case take the metro bit out and replace it with www (which I probably should have done anyway) There are apparently lots of companies offering this sort of insurance for learner drivers.

Reply to
mogga