Slightly off topic

Slightly off topic I know but not really sure what NG to use, perhaps someone can answer my questions or point me to the correct / best NG to ask.

I have been trying to find a website that tells you how to wire the electrics for the towbar on the car.

also,

I want to put a reversing alarm on the car. Easy enough, connect one side to earth and the other to the reversing lights, but, I want it not to sound when the side lights are on.

Any ideas greatfully appreciated.

-- troubleinstore Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap Personal mail can be sent via website.

my auction items on eBay & eBid:-

troubleinstore

Have a look at

could post towbar queries in uk.rec.caravanning

You would need to need to wire your alarm through the normally closed contacts of a relay whose coil is connected to the side light circuit - so that the contacts open and disable the alarm when the side lights are on.

Reply to
Set Square

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:49:38 -0000, "troubleinstore" strung together this:

Simple, wire the alarm througha NC relay and connect the coil to the side light circuit. Ligths on = relay open. As for wiring the electrics to the socket, just do what everyone else does and make it up, every vehicle I've had has had a different arrangement! Or Google.

Reply to
Lurch

Thanks chaps for the advice. I haven't done any electronics now for about 6 years and I just could not seem to fathem the wiring for reversing alarm out. Need to take a few Aspirins and have a lay down I think...!

-- troubleinstore Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap Personal mail can be sent via website.

my auction items on eBay & eBid:-

troubleinstore

Alarms are available with an extra connection that prevents the alarm sounding when the lights are on. eg:

gribblechips

With a modern car I would suggest at least finding out if the car manufacturer has a towing electrics kit, bearing in mind the need to uprate/alter the indicator flasher and provide an additonal warning light. (Based on my experience with a recent VW)

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare