Slight leak from hot water tank outlet

A couple of months ago I replaced the immerison heater element in our HWT and everything seemed fine. However I know I left it set really high and recently the tank seems to have developed a leak from one of teh side outlets (2/3rds way up the side, feeding the shower pump) - it's a steady trickle currently leaving a towel sodden after a day or two.

It's a pretty old tank with polystyrene lagging. Before I start doing things I wanted to check it's likely to be just a gasket/sealant (some gunky mastic does seem to have come away) and that all I need to do is drain the tank, loosen the inlet, apply some ptfe/plumbers mait/teflon and then retighten ?

Do I have to drain the tank thru the drain c*ck at the bottom (ISTR the hot taps feed off teh top of the tank on gravity) ?

RB

Reply to
Roland Burr

You may be lucky. No harm in trying, anyway.

If it is an old cylinder, and possibly quite thin, you may find it has just started to leak through the wall. What grade cylinder is it? Approximately where do you live? (for likely scale/acid problems).

Yes.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I had a similar problem and after many attempts with new washers, sealants etc. I found that the cause was a pourous thread. The only cure in my case was a new tank!

Brian

Reply to
not available

For what it's worth - after you drain down your HWC and either you re-seal the joint or replace the tank I've found using something like Fernox LSX a better option for sealing leaks than PTFE tape.

I know everyone's got their favorite, be it PTFE or LSX - I even know someone who swears by Red Hermetite!

anyhoo, thats my 2 euros worth.

Kev

Reply to
Kev Parkin