Sliding shower doors - aargh! Too much choice

As previously posted I'm doing up a shower, to be a 1400mm width enclosure.

We need to put in some sliding doors. Now, at the end of the day I view th= ese things functionally - I don't particularly care what they look like, as= I've never seen a set of sliding doors that I would describe as "ugly". I= do know that not all "chrome" finishes are created equally, and that slidi= ng mechanisms need to be reliable and easy to clean. But how do I get past= the showroom salesman's temptation to push me up the price bracket a littl= e without some empirical or experience based evidence that brand A is good = but brand B is to be avoided.

For example, one website I'm currently viewing has suitable products from = =A3180 up to =A3800. Some of the pricier ones I can discount as style over= substance, but there's a vast range in the middle that I can't distinguish= between. But I don't want to buy a dud!!

Are there any brands which either experienced fitters or DIYers here can gi= ve some feedback (positive or negative) about?

e.g. Manhattan, Twyford, Aqualux, Aquasata etc etc

Any help gratefully received!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

things functionally - I don't particularly care what they look like, as I've never seen a set of sliding doors that I would describe as "ugly". I do know that not all "chrome" finishes are created equally, and that sliding mechanisms need to be reliable and easy to clean. But how do I get past the showroom salesman's temptation to push me up the price bracket a little without some empirical or experience based evidence that brand A is good but brand B is to be avoided.

up to £800. Some of the pricier ones I can discount as style over substance, but there's a vast range in the middle that I can't distinguish between. But I don't want to buy a dud!!

some feedback (positive or negative) about?

Avoid the ones that slide on little plastic wheels.

Reply to
Martin

these things functionally - I don't particularly care what they look like, = as I've never seen a set of sliding doors that I would describe as "ugly". = I do know that not all "chrome" finishes are created equally, and that sli= ding mechanisms need to be reliable and easy to clean. But how do I get pa= st the showroom salesman's temptation to push me up the price bracket a lit= tle without some empirical or experience based evidence that brand A is goo= d but brand B is to be avoided.

=A3180 up to =A3800. Some of the pricier ones I can discount as style ove= r substance, but there's a vast range in the middle that I can't distinguis= h between. But I don't want to buy a dud!!

give some feedback (positive or negative) about?

The ones that are basically a big piece of glass suspended on big silver wh= eels glide much better than the little plastic wheels in a track top and bo= ttom. This kind of thing:

also tend to have less of a step over.=20 There will be variation in the amount the door opens - some brands use the = same door for 1000mm and 1400mm sliders, and just change the size of the fi= xed panel. Others use bigger doors for bigger enclosures. The overall width= adjustment range also varies, so check that what you get works with the ti= les you choose. A

Reply to
andrew

[...]

Thanks.

My only experience of this is the one that we already have, but it is unbra= nded and I lost the receipt for it so I don't know what it is. That is a p= lastic wheeled slider which I have no problems with (it works fine, now 5 y= ears old, though admittedly not used that much).

Good advice about the door size, and the adjustment range.

Thanks

Matt

Reply to
larkim