Sliding mitre saws

Looking around for one of these without breaking the bank, I came across this at Screwfix:

seems to get very good reviews, but has anyone tried one of these and found the drawbacks?

My regular use for this would be fairly rough cutting of timbers (joists etc) but the ability to chop metal (presumably a property of the blade more than the saw) could be an asset.

Reply to
GMM

In message , GMM writes

I have a revolution-rage circular saw purchased for cutting thin metal sheet which it does noisily but well. The blade cuts but does not perform well on wood.

I think the blade must be a compromise as the kerf is narrow and the

*chip* size is restricted by having very little relief behind each tooth.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I know it doesn't answer your question but with regard to cheap mitre saws here is something to watch out for. I bought this

It works OK, but I found that the the blade is not exactly parallel to the slide and there is NO ADJUSTMENT possible. if I were buying again I would check whether there is such an adjustment.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

It seems to get very good reviews, but has anyone tried one of these

I originally bought one with a similar spec, and found it just too restrictive for many of the jobs I wanted it for. I then bought a cheap (B&Q) one which has a 250mm blade and will cross cut 310mm. That does almost everything I want for normal DIY.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That sounds like a good tip for all saws like this - I'll take a look at the evolution one, which they also seem to have (different colour, same price) in B&Q

Reply to
GMM

=A0 London SW

That's sort of what I was wondering: Although I can't think of what I want to cut that's much bigger than the 60 x 220 specified for this one, I have a nasty suspicion that I'd find something pretty soon after buying one!

Reply to
GMM

> It seems to get very good reviews, but has anyone tried one of these

Yup the blade is what dictates what you can cut. Even a normal TCT blade will cut most non ferrous metals without damage.

As with all sliders, its the quality of the slide mechanism that matters. It need to have no slop and work smoothly. If it can do that, you are a long way there.

Reply to
John Rumm

With me it was shelves.

Reply to