Sliding mitre saw anyone?

Sunday the 25th

George

proceed to a tool supplier to buy a Makita LS1013, DeWalt 708, Bosch GCM 12SD or Metabo (Elektra Beckum) KGS305.

Any of these will fulfill the role of a proper sliding compound mitre saw.

Aldi may have something that can be boiled and processed to make something that approximates to potato puree.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think you should go into the power tool trade and start selling high quality groceries MrHall. ;-)

Reply to
George

A good proposition.

It would be much easier for a quality tool store to offer vouchers for a good moules-frites at a local brasserie than it is for a bulk reseller of cheap, bulk wet potatoes to attempt to sell woodworking machinery.

This is a 20:1 ratio on price vs. 5:1

Reply to
Andy Hall

does, and work out why I might need one someday.

;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Simple anwser to that is...

Lets suppose you want to lay decking ie 200 pieces need cutting to size,now that would mean alot of effort with a hand saw.

Sure we can just buy a conventional chop saw but at the same price you can buy a cheap chop saw we have the oppertunity to buy a sliding mitre chop saw which will cut deeper and wider than the chop saw. ;-)

Reply to
George

Thanks George, that was quick!

I've been using my plain vanilla mitre saw to cut skirtings and I get irritated by the fact the saw misses just a little bit at the corner. Now I need to decide whether it is worth £50 minus 1p to remove that irritation ...

Reply to
Bruce

Or maybe filing a wee bit off the depth stop? Or fitting a slightly larger blade? Or putting a ply packing piece on the saw bed?

Reply to
dennis

All of course at 10 times the price of the Aldi machine.

Tempting proposition for the average DIY guy. £500 for a Makita or £50 for an Aldi. Hmmm. Wonder what the average bloke wanting to cut a few deck boards would buy?

Is that why they won 8 quality food awards in 2007?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hah! you didn't pay attention to your woodwork teacher at school. ;-)

Pack it up on a scrap piece of wood. Also when cutting a piece of wood put a scrap piece of wood behind it...stops the other side of the wood getting splintered.

Reply to
George

The Aldi one is a bit pricy. I have a PPro one that I paid £20 as a refurb that works quite well.

Reply to
dennis

Magic! Dennis,now let us all know where we can get these refurb saws?

Reply to
George

Well its in great bridge, Tipton.

Reply to
dennis

Cheaper than £50 minus 1p for sure! Thanks.

Reply to
Bruce

That's because my school didn't teach woodwork or metalwork, despite it being a legal requirement. One of many serious disappointments about that school!

Still, I did get O Level Latin, so I suppose I should be grateful for that. Rarely has a day gone by since then without me saying to myself "I am so glad I did O level Latin, so I am."

Thanks. These are basic things that I could easily have learned in a woodwork class.

Reply to
Bruce

know you want one!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I got a nice LS1214 off eBay for PPPro money....

Very nice bit of kit it is too...

Reply to
John Rumm

It does that which a non-sliding chop saw doesn't, and thus makes it almost useless.

I'm about as extreme as Andy Hall when it comes to avoiding tools that are any less than stellar in performance - but I'll be buying one of these. 50 quid for making chicken coops in half the time? I'll have some of that. 30mm bore on the blade too (unusual), so you can easily find blades for it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

and ...

That would depend on whether he wants to do a proper job or not.

Microsoft received awards for corporate citizenship.......

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not really. You will simply replace it with another irritation when you discover that cheap SCM saws are not capable of repeatable and consistent cuts without resetting and checking before each one.

Reply to
Andy Hall