Sliding mitre saw

Ryobi are not DIY tools, they are light to medium trade. Lots of tradesmen use Skil tools. Their circular saws were legendary, giving the name Skil for a circular saw.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If it sticks closed its safe. If any guard sticks open you should stop using the machine, an open guard isn't dangerous in its self so as long as you stop using it until its fixed it should be safe.

Any guard can break, what do you envisage causing the breakage? Even a top quality tool can have a broken guard and then it is as unsafe as a cheap one with a broken guard.

I wonder which machine has the safest guard.. my really cheap circular saw (Argos £8) with a metal guard or my Hitachi circular saw with its half plastic guard? Both cover about the same amount of blade and both move correctly.

Why the £8 saw you ask, well its not very safe putting a metal cutting disk in a saw with a plastic guard and an £8 saw is much safer than an £200 angle grinder for cutting wire mesh.

Reply to
dennis

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel" saying something like:

"Light to medium trade."

Hahahahahaha... I've yet to meet a tradesman that would put up with the cheap crap that Ryobi charge too much for. What they are good for is a disposable one-site tool that *will* get nicked, thus preserving the decent stuff.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yes and no. The typical behaviour of poorly designed and made guards on this type of machine is that they partly stick and then ping open suddenly.

Fixing it may require the replacement of parts. Are they available?

Flimsy construction and poor design; being struck by material being cut.

Indeed. Then the important question becomes one of whether a replacement guard can be purchased or not.

Where's the third saw? My Hitachi saw hasa metal guard.

SHould a metal cutting disc be put into a saw at all? Did you ask Argos whether their tool is designed for that purpose?

Reply to
Andy Hall

IME the vegetables are manning the tills...

Reply to
John Rumm

Might be popular in Norfolk. :-)

Reply to
Rod

Generally more accidents happen with fixed or bench machines rather than hand-held - with a circular saw both hands are usually tied up holding the machine which makes it harder to get them into the path of the blade. Chops saws etc often claim digits and fine slithers off the free hand.

Having said that - any type of circular saw takes no prisoners, and the market for handheld saws will be much bigger.

Reply to
John Rumm

I had a NuTool chop saw for a while. Only small capacity and not very accurate, but it was ok for chopping studwork. However the guard was flimsy and clunky in operation. The metalwork that made up the various leavers etc was rather bendy and hence you could find various sorts of odd behaviour in use. Sometimes it would prevent the saw plunging fully giving a partial cut. Other times it would stick the head in the down position requiring you pull it up to get it to spring back, and other times it would foul on the work piece by not opening in time.

So generally speaking it was a liability, and you had to take great care to not get careless with it when rectifying the various stoppages.

Reply to
John Rumm

But thats a NuTool(aka power devil?) these should never had been placed on market,B&Q got shut of this junk pronto and things have still not changed in their range of cheap power tools. Aldi's power tools are considerably better and above the B&Q range in respect to construction and pricing.

Reply to
George

Skil is just another mid price brand owned by Bosch these days. Not a patch on the original tools bearing the name. Better than Ryobi mind you. ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I would have thrown it away. Even the cheap tools I have bought don't have guards that bad.

Reply to
dennis

???

My Hitachi doesn't.

Why not? Why would I ask Argos when I have a user guide? Do you ask screwfix employees how to operate a table saw they sell? Would you be foolish enough to trust their answer?

Reply to
dennis

No worse than a saw bench with a fixed guard, surely?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Any idiot that gets his fingers that close deserves to lose them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I got the Lidl 10?" angle grinder the other day. Works just fine. Soft start too. 20 quid with no blade - a diamond one from Screwfix cost more than the tool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Except on Sundays when university students often do the job. Mind you, these days that doesn't say a lot.

Reply to
Andy Hall

A guard can only be the safest if there are more than two.

Does the user guide say that you can?

Reply to
Andy Hall

The same principles apply

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oddly a neighbour wanted to buy it from me when I replaced it with a Makita LS1214... this was after me telling him just why it was so crap as well!

I did not have the heart to accept money for it, so I gave it to him. (at least I know he will probably never use it - so that ought to render it safe!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for the reply.

Mine appears to be true to the dials so far.

I agree that it's unrefined but I'd say it's fit for the purpose I bought it for.

Plunge cut before sliding needs to be gentle to get the truest edge, perhaps a confirmation of Dave P's suggestion of lack of rigidity.

Reply to
fred