Sliding internal door?

Hi

Ok - well the task the coming year looks like I hace to totally redo the bathroom.

Now the room is small with the door in the centre of the room. What I as thinking instead of having an inward or outward opening door, is bulk out one side of the wall and have a sliding door that fits inside the wall partition. Hopefully would save some space and make the room feel roomier when the door is opened.

Question is - has anyone done this and is there any kits on the market. Had a search on B&q site etc and no joy.

Any ideas?

Scott

Reply to
Scott

From google "sliding door gear":

reasonable selection of running gear - you'll have to design the "contained in the wall" bit yourself.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I don't know what you mean by "bulk out one side of the wall". I have made a sliding door that fits entirely within the wall. At the door opening I have two vertical pieces of 1=BD" angle steel with horizontal pieces of 4"x1" screwed to them, to attach the wallboard to on each side. The rollers and track are commercially available.

Reply to
Matty F

sliding wardrobe door mechas are not hard to find. Just need a decent one with bottom as well as top restraint.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I have the catalogue but thats as far as I've gone so far though I will be doing exactly the same as you - shoehorning extra space into a small bathroom

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

re sliding door gear.

yeah but why pick them. More garage door mecha failures than all the others combined.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

i fitted one at work last tuesday fitted the track to the ceiling---it should be level so some 1mm packers are well handy there was also provision for fixing to the wall....easier if you can do it this way the bottom guide ran in a groove which i routered in the bottom of the door after it was trimmed to length

a couple of things i would point out you dont need to run this inside a double wall or partition if you buy a door an inch or so wider than the opening you can run it against the existing arcs and skirting and mount the stops appropriately btw the kit i used had puny stops so if you use a heavy door watch out for this and you may have to make a pelmet to hide the mechanism

also i would drop a plumb bob down both legs of the door frame before you start just in case they are badly in wind

hth

breeze

Reply to
jack

I came across these a while ago, and am considering fitting one soon

Andy Burns

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Will do, though decision is still a week or two away ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'd be interested in hearing about it, too - we're looking into replacing an inward-opening bathroom door.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Sounds like there's about four of us here (plus any lurkers) all planning refurbishing small bathrooms this month :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

I finished my small "bathroom" some years ago. In it is a flush toilet and a handbasin with cupboard underneath. It measures 26" x 65", so that's why I needed a door that slid inside the wall. Otherwise the open door would touch the wall on the other side of the room, or the other side of the passage outside if it opened the other way. I have a lot of tiles that I wanted to put on the wall, but I was worried about making the room half an inch narrower by putting tiles on the wall. My mother wouldn't be able to get in the room :)

Reply to
Matty F

Mine will have to wait until other tasks are done. The fact that these doors do an electric open/close make them look even better. Take some photos if you do get and install one.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth