Sliding door gear - good makes & suppliers?

I want to install some quite large sliding doors across the end of a room to cover a bookcase. The total width is about 3.2 metres and it's a standard 2.4 metres or thereabouts high.

Ideally we want three doors so they'll be about 1.1 metres wide each, I'm going to get the doors themselves made up by our local laminates supplier (Ipswich Plastics, excellent) when I know what the exact dimensions are.

I'm having trouble finding helpful information on suitable sliding door systems. The Hendersons site is moderately helpful but there doesn't seem to be a system which fits our requirement very well. Their Double Top is the closest but needs some non-standard extras to do the 3.2 metre width and the extras are very expensive, it'll cost hundreds of pounds just for the fittings.

I also looked at Hettich and can't really find out how to decide what bits are needed. I phoned one supplier who was quite helpful but just the aluminium runner long enough for a 3.2 metre run is £120.

So, can anyone recommend a supplier, preferably one with a helpful website, where I can find lists of compatible bits for making sliding doors? If, in addition, it told me how big to make the doors themselves that would be a useful extra.

Reply to
tinnews

If you are using a twin track, then with three doors here will be, using your dimensions, 100 mm wide sections that are always behind a door, which wouldn't be the case if you used four doors. Only you can judge if this is a problem.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I don't think it will be an issue but thanks for pointing this out (and that four doors would avoid the problem).

I still need a good supplier though!  :-)

Reply to
tinnews

Have you looked at sliding wardrobe doors? They seem to fit your application. I'm not sure from your post if you are looking at the sliding door gear for internal habitation doors or if you are treating your bookcase like a built in wardrobe.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts