Sliding Door Cartridge at Grand Designs Exhibition

At the recent Grand Designs Exhibition I saw a Sliding Door Cartridge. Unfortunately I can't find anything amongst the leaflets etc that I collected at the show.

Did anyone else notice it and remember who the manufacturer was ...

Google hasn't helped...

Many thanks, Roy

Reply to
RzB

Put me out of my misery please: what is a Sliding Door Cartridge??! David

Reply to
Lobster

"Lobster"

= snip

I didn't know till I saw it at the show... :-)

It's a contraption that enables the installation of a sliding door, such that the door slides back into the wall. It's made of galvanised steel that will take plaster directly.

I realise there are other ways fo doing this but seemed to make the job easier and neater...

Roy

Reply to
RzB

OK - Sussed it... I got a list of all the exhibitors and phoned each of them that had anything to do with doors..

Turned out to be a company called Haf...

item is not on their web site yet, nor do they have documentation but they will soon...

Roy

Reply to
RzB

Or

robert

The message from "RzB" contains these words:

can you seriously imagine them saying "Sorry, sir, you can't have those light switches again, they were a Limited Edition and they've all gone"?

Guy King

Robert, Many thanks - that excellent - very, very helpful.... Roy

Reply to
RzB

Interested in comments from anyone who has used these systems or sliding doors in general as have 2 projects - ensuite bathroom and understair larder which might benefit from sliding doors.

Robert Robert

Reply to
robert

Yes - I too would be interested to hear from anyone who has them installed...

I spoke to someone at Eclisse - they were very helpful. Sent a very helpful catalogue to me.

It turns out that there are two types - one that is designed for studding walls, and the one that I had seen at Grand Designs, that is designed for solid walls. This latter type has large flat galvanised steel sides that you whack the plaster straight on to. However the guy told me that you can still use the studding wall version on solid walls - just put plasterboard on the sides - then plaster. He recomended this over the solid wall version.

Roy

Reply to
RzB

We have just had 3 installed (2 shower rooms plus kitchen). They are great, but there are issues when you need to fix things to the walls, and latches are not easy to find. Meant we are having to be creative about the shower doors, as glass would be too heavy for the wall to take; we will be using plastic sheet instead (many thanks to someone on here for putting me on to Prefit for the door fittings).

If you are interested I will post some closeups next weekend. Made by mmm... mmmm ... have to look that up too. Two or three wood-filled metal channels each side, with a top sliding mechanism, uses any door of your choice. Look at

for a few views.

Reply to
SarahEmmm

Don't they come complete?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Sarah,

Many thanks for your response... Have you installed these three into stud walls or solid walls? Interesting you mention weight as a problem. I thought these frames we capable of taking very heavy doors...?? I would very much like to see some close up pictures... I'll keep an eye on the blog...

Roy

Reply to
RzB

Apologies for slow reply - I can only do usenet at the weekend.

They are all in purpose-built stud partitions. The weight problem is not for the door itself, but for the shower door to be attached to the partition itself. I'll be putting up more pics tomorrow, and will put some closeups of them for you to see.

Reply to
SarahEmmm

OK - No problem - have been keeping an eye on the website.. Thanks, Roy

Reply to
RzB

Aargh - broadband died! Anyway, I checked, and they are called Hideaway Pocket Doors, made by Hillaldam Coburn:

They have a price in the catalogue, but I couldn't find any details on the site, so I guess yuu have to phone them. I'll be putting up some closeups shortly.

Good luck!

Reply to
SarahEmmm