Slide Compound Mitre Saws?

After having tried 4 different PPro models from B&Q and a Rexon. All of which had various problems ... can anyone recommend any upto around £200?

Also anyone had any experience of the 8 1/2" Rexon SCM8-2 which may also be known as SM215AL.

TIA,

Alex

Reply to
Alex W

What sort of problems are you having?

I was pleasantly surprised by the PPro double bar effort. 99 quid without any silly features like laser beams, which I could have had for the same price, but on a single bar model that didn't inspire confidence. It also had a 255mm blade, allowing much larger beams to be cut, which could come in useful when I build the shed roof.

The only problem was that the fence adjustment could have been wider. I needed to adjust it right to the end of its adjustment range. However, the cuts are good and repeatable and the slide action is smooth. Obviously, it isn't professional quality, but I was amazed what you do get for the money. My expectations were much lower than what I found in the box.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Had one with the laser on. But it went back because the fence was curved (and could not be adjusted striaght) which leads to slight twisting as the blade cuts leaving the timber. The laser also failed after one day.

I also tried the a new single bar PP one, same fence, same probs but with a sticking guard, which was err really problematic.

I still have an old single bar PP one BTW which I got 2nd hand. This has the same fence with same problem. Built a timber garage with it though so its OK for big stuff. This has had tons of stick and I'm going to keep it but is just not accurate enough for finer stuff.

Tried the black and yellow PP one 8" one with laser. The laser did not align to the blade and it could not be adjusted to do 45 deg bevels as the bevel lock screw housing fouled the whole thing at 44 deg making the stop adjusters pointless!

Tried the new blue and yellow PP twin laser and the turntable was at a different height from the outer table making it impossible to cut a straight peice! And only one laser aligns to the blade - the PP support line said this was how its supposed to be huh?

The 10" Rexon (no slide) looked great but never got used as the laser did not meet the blade, when I tried to adjust it the screw head sheared off because it was just so soft and very tight. I checked all the mitre angles and the accuracy and this was really good barring this fault.

Alex.

Reply to
Alex W

Sorry, I should have said PP, not PPro.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hmmm. The fence on mine is straight, it was just that it was only just possible to adjust it to the blade. It shows 90 degrees literally as it is wedged against the stop.

I always thought the laser would be a toy anyway. I was more interested in having a twin bar, which is actually useful.

No problems with the guard at all.

Yes, the 255mm twin bar isn't exactly dainty. However, it was absolutely fine cutting the pelmets and plinths in my kitchen. It does great 90 degree corners without chipping the laminate. It is infinitely superior to my old manual mitre saw, both in accuracy and chipping to laminate. That's before you get onto the sore arm (no pun intended) doing it the manual way. I also much prefer cutting flat pieces (i.e. skirtings/plinths) flat on their faces, using the slide, than standing the piece upright and trying to stop it wobbling whilst using a manual saw or non-sliding powered mitre.

Ouch. A mitre saw that can't do 45 degrees is in chocolate teapot territory.

Again, I think the laser is to look good in the shop. I find it plenty accurate doing it with Mark I eyeball, at least to 1mm or a bit less.

It does sound like the cheapie twin bar PP beats the other PPs/PPros, but if you want a quality super-accurate machine for detail work (given that you already have a big one for rough work), then you may wish to look elsewhere.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've got the sip. 10 inch blade. at least than a hundred it is good.

Reply to
mrcheerful

Is this the PPP250MS? If so, I've had one for quite some time (when it cost rather more than 99 quid) and am generally very pleased with it at the price. The slide action is poor, so I just use it as a preset, but it's so rigid this doesn't matter as the cuts line up perfectly. Better than an easy sliding one which has play - at the end of the day.

I treated it to a decent blade, and made a new pointer for the scale to get rid of parallax errors caused by the original.

For all the DIY stuff I've needed it for it's been fine - and the ability to cut 12" shelves is very useful, and not matched at anything near the price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had 2 Rexon compound Mitre Saws (non slide) good powerful machines, but both failed with motors playing up, a couple of coil windings burnt out on last one. A pity as the mechanical build was good.

I 'upgraded' to a Performance Power CLM250LSM5 already done more than enough work with it to say it's powerful (1200W) cuts very well, and true. Had to cut up 3.5Km of 4 x 1" for fencing and a huge amount of 6"x2 and

4"x2" - very pleased with it. It is a bit of a grab on switching on, and I guess could really do with soft start.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Just to add another possibility there is an SIP one, I have one and, so far, it seems OK.

Reply to
usenet

Wickes a have a new substantial double bar sliding saw for £160. Look well made and more robust than the B&Q jobs

-- Doctor Evil

Reply to
Doctor Evil

The Laser on these are nothing more than a *guide*, (as opposed to laser-guided in Ryobi ads) quite useful for brain fade situations, but are going to be inaccurate depending on which side of the blade your measured piece is. Also there is little point in having the laser directly on the blade line as it then masks your hopefully precise thin pencil line. YMMV

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark

The 10" B&Q double bar jobbie is certainly substantial enough, but doesn't slide well. Is the Wickes one better - using rollers for example?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I also use the SIP (£149) and so far have found it very good. Excellent value for the money.

Regards Alan

Reply to
Alan Penn

it right !

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Nice product it seems, Paul. I haven't bothered with one before because I couldn't find anything decent.

Do you have one and did you order from the U.S. or is there a source in Europe?

thanks

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm still trying to establish if it will work on my Elu.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Mine slides well enough. I haven't examined the bearings, but I'm happy enough with it. Very little friction or stickiness.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

And that's a 250mm? I'll have to have a play.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi,

I'm looking for a mitre saw for use when I do laminate/wooden floors in a few weeks. I've read your discussion and I think I'll be off to B&Q to look at what they've got. I don't want to spend too much. It will only be for occasional DIY use.

Any recommendations or other suggestions?

Also how do I cut boards length wise?

Thanks,

Simon

Simon Pawson

They have really quite a large range of own brand cheap and nasty saws. However, it does sound like the twin bar laserless PP version is the best value. However, for cutting laminate boards for flooring, a circular saw would also work at much less cost. (The sliding mitre would be less faffing, though).

Circular saw, unless you happen to have a table saw, which isn't very likely. A jigsaw would also do it if you don't mind waiting and have one lying about. Other than that, a handsaw.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle