Slick marketing by Vaillant but it leaves me wondering.

In principle as long as a 37kW unit would.

The only way to bring a sense of competition into the matter would be simply to buy other makes when needing higher powered units, but they of course apply the same marketing strategy, although possibly not to such an extent.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The manual and spares list is common to all models.

The gas valve acts more like a carburettor on this sort of boiler the faster the fan moves the air the more gas that is injected.

The fan speed is altered by the PCB changing the voltage to the fan motor. It is checked and fed-back to the PCB by a tachometer on the fan shaft.

The units modulate over a wide range by altering the fan speed.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

That would probably be worth it for changing a 824 into an 837. But not for the other models.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Off the top of my head (and I can't remember if these are input or output rates - although as it's condensing they are very close).

HW (MAX) CH

824 24 19 828 28 22 ? 831 31 24 837 37 ?
Reply to
Ed Sirett

Last time I bought one a Valliant pcb was silly money. £150 to £170 or so, if my memory is right.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

How about injector size? same?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If there is an injector I suspect to upgrade the pcb and injector (small item) would need to be changed as well. The big stuff may be the same. The devil may be in the detail.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is a matter of goping through part numbers on prime points. You may find only two differences: the pcb and injector.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I think this is fairly common practice in many product lines.

It makes sense for a mfr who wants to produce a range of products to minimise inventory and create the range artificially by having one base hardware configuration, and disabling features to create the lower-end models.

I had a sinclair scientific calculator at school, cheaper than the one my friend had. It apparently had less functions. However, if you performed the same key-presses on mine and his, they both actually had the same functions! The only difference was the sticker on the keypad! If you just wrote the other 'missing' functions on with a pen, hey presto, instant upgrade.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Wasn't this on the box a while ago with an economist pointing out it actually cost intel more to produce because they needed to cut (laser?) the cache from a p4 to make it a celeron?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I know an automotive engineer or two. About 12 years ago I recall them saying that it cost more to install a single point fuel injection system on an engine than multi-point - most cars had gone over to multi-point. I said "why aren't all car multi-point as it is better?". They said the marketing levels strategy dictate that lower end models must have less than the levels above. Otherwise people would go for the lower end of the range most of the time. They gauge generally by the bottom line profit of the whole range. More money was made per car on the top end of the ranges (leather seats etc)

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What injector. These are forced premix burners all the same.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

They use a "zero-governor" type gas valve. No injector in the usual sense,

... and Keston and Worcester and all the other that use forced premix burners.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I was thinking of ideal, They have a gas pipe that is in the suction stream. The more suction (faster fan speed) the more gas is drawn out the pipe. That is the basis of it. The Valliant has a side mounted burner. There "may" be some restriction of differing size of pipe or whatever. Part numbers will tell you.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The pipe via the valve to burner is sized up (may have an injector or restrictor). Too big and too much gas, etc.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Intel have long done this sort of stuff for marketing reasons. Remember the 486SX device that was without a built in maths co-processot - in reality it had the same die as the 486, but just had the copro knobbled. IIRC they even sold a 487 to go with it, that was basically a normal 486 that took over all the functions of the co-pro *and* the main CPU when installed in the co-pro socket.

Reply to
John Rumm

Just because it costs more, doesn't mean it is less profitable ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Indeed - but the S Coopers used nitrided cranks, bigger valves and flowed heads, better bearings and so on. It was a bit more than a modern equivalent of chipping.

Reply to
Rob

They were all the same engine from A35, Mini, Maestro, Metro, etc

Not much though. The 700cc A series engine was large with poor power/weight ratio. But it saved them designing and casting another block, so fitted in the range. The 1300cc engine with fuel injection, etc, had a good power/eight ratio.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

IBM still do this with their large mainframe machines. They sell a box with all the kit inside, but you have to pay for the bits that you want enabled. This fits pretty well with their business model; you don't buy a hunk of hardware, but an end to end service built around it.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq