Slave computers

I'll tell him to get out his oxy-acetylene cutting equipment :-))

I have a friend who says you can get anything from tucows! I suppose I'd have to get it through my machine then copy it to ... to what? I haven't a 5 1/4" drive :-)

Well, no, as I said elsewhere the original Laplink was able to copy itself across a serial (or parallel) cable from one machine to the other. Similar stuff might do the same, but I've not needed to do this recently so don't know.
Having read a previous reply that the machine in question is (basically) an XT, I'd assume it to have DOS 3.x or 4 at best. Most of the useful "built-in" utilities people have been mentioning have come with DOS 5 and (especially) 6, in which case a 3rd party utility seems like a good idea.
Hwyl!
M.
--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html

Googling reveals:
http://www.engin.umd.umich.edu/~jwvm/ece274/bestdosutil/disk2 /
Its the last item on the page.
Paul

Then leave the cover off the pc and have the drive sat next to it until he's read the disks he wants to copy.
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk) "How's life Norm?" "Not for the squeamish, Coach" (Cheers, 1982)

Don't you talk about my husband's floppies like that!
Mary
:-)))))))))

Alternatively, the two computers need to be networked in some way. The simplest way - if he is only transferring low volumes of data, and if is running some flavour or other of Windows on both machines - is to use "Direct Cable Connection". The software supporting this comes as part of Windows, but probably hasn't been installed. He needs to go to Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Windows Setup | Communications and then to select Direct Cable Connection and to insert the original Windows disk (or CD) when prompted.
He will, of course, also need a suitable cable - either serial or parallel - Direct Cable Connection supports both, but it has to be specially wired to provide the necessary cross-over capability.
HTH, Roger
P.S. Why doesn't Spouse ask his own questions?

Stop right there.
As I see it that's a fundamental problem. The compaq was purely DOS. The HP isn't.
So all the following useful information probably is wasted.
For this bloke anyway - but no information is ever useless and I thank everyone for their contributions - as always.
Mary

the other computer
--
geoff

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:38:55 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

Setting up networking on a DOS machine can be hard work and not easy to debug if it doesn't work. It probably isn't worth it.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I know :-(
Mary

We're likely to be later this year, a son lives in Cambridgeshire. And we're supposed to be spending bonfire night with a friend in Stevenage - that's in Hertfordshire innit?
Tempting - and he could wait that long.
Mary

You have bonfire night already planned out months in advance?? Struth.
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk) "How's life Norm?" "Not for the squeamish, Coach" (Cheers, 1982)

Our lifestyle demands very advanced forwward planning.
Except when we do things spontaneously :-)
Mary

Yeah yeah, like the old one about I can be spontaneous too if you give me enough advance notice.
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk) "How's life Norm?" "Not for the squeamish, Coach" (Cheers, 1982)

(Un)spontaneous combustion.
--
Toby.

NTL. Bringing you yesterday's news today, and a bit of last week's. Maybe.
Mary Fisher wrote:

cross post to cam.misc and loads of pony tailed weirdos will help you. Heck, Its not too far for me either.

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:00:21 UTC, "Mary Fisher"

OK, let's start again.
Assumption 1: old computer is running DOS. What version?
Assumption 2: new computer is running Windows of some sort; what version?
Assumption 3: This is a one-off hookup to get the files from old to new; how many disks are involved?
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
Bob Eager wrote:

Assumption 4: There is a hard drive on the old machine?
The BEST solution I have heard sugested was to get that out, and into teh new machine..

I'll find out after dinner.
But tomorrow we're going to Berkeley Castle and shan't be back until Tuesday. You can talk about me while I'm gone but I hope this thread doesn't take over the ng ...
Mary

Um, I forgot to ask. Hang on ... he hasn't the faintest idea, sorry.

1985
Quite a few. Twenty perhaps?
Mary