Slave computers

Page 1 of 3

I know this isn't a computer ng but can anyone point me towards either the right ng or more information?
TIA
Mary

Hmmm.
this wouldn't be one of those kinky dress-your-computer-in-leather-and-make-it-lick-your-boots kind of newsgroups you'd be after would it?
I'd suggest one of the uk.comp.* hierarchy, but I don't frequent them so don't really know whether they contain anything of relevance.
google group search might be your friend. Otherwise, I'd say post the question as an Off Topic, you never know where the thread will take you! (heard the possiblities of domestic LED lighting briefly discussed on R4 today, btw! 200 for 3 of those fancy LED white lamps someone said...)
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson

the
No. It's for Spouse. He's not like that.

Quite.
I'll wait.
Mary

Or make both machines connectable to the Internet and email the data over. :)
--
Tony Williams.

[...]

Ooh, I dunno. Used to do it all the time at work... but that was a Novell setup. New machine, DOS boot disc with Novell drivers, couple of commands and install DOS and Windows directly across the network. The biggest hassle was having to remember to load different drivers for different network cards.

Laplink (mentioned earlier) was able to transfer itself across the serial link. ISTR a simple COPY COM1: CON: (ummm... or something similar) was all that was required. It first loaded a batch file (text so came across easily) which ran and set up the ports correctly for high(ish) speed transfer of the actual program. Very clever. Well, I thought so anyway.
Hwyl!
M.
--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
Mary Fisher wrote:

Wow. Dos 2.2 probably. NICE. 3.5" floppies were just on teh way then AFAICR, so it might support one.
XMODEM will definitely work, if you can link the puters with a serial cable.
The hard disk SHOULD be installable in a modern machine allright.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

At that age, the chances are the hard drive has a ST506 interface rather than a IDE one. I remember an old Deskpro 386/20e I used to use c.1989, that used a full height 3.5" ST506 hard drive.
So you would need to install either a HD interface card or a multi IO card and then get it to co-exist with the modern IDE interface. Just to add that final twist of complexity most ST506 interface cards were ISA and not PCI so you have better hope the new computer has a ISA slot and a spare interrupt....
--
Cheers,

John.

snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk says...

What do you want your "slave" computer to do?
--
Hywel I do not each quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk /

the
It's for Spouse. I think he wants to link his old Compaq to his marginally newer whatever so that he can read 5 1/4" disks from the older one and save the data in his newer one.
He remembers seeing something about a slave computer some time ago but not where it was and he's nagging about it.
I need to sleep :-)
Mary

Then why doesn't he just put the 5 1/4" drive in the new one or does he just prefer trying to find the most complicated possible solution to an easy problem?
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk) "How's life Norm?" "Not for the squeamish, Coach" (Cheers, 1982)

either
marginally
save
just
You're very perceptive!
And anyone who says anything about who he chose for a wife gets it!
Mary
p.s. I'll ask him.

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:11:12 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

It's either that or network the two computers together - cost about 30. It might be worth doing that anyway if you wanted to have simultaneous internet access for both machines.
OTOH, if it's just copying floppies then moving the drive is generally easier, although some drives have edge type connectors with gold fingers on the printed circuit board, while others have a connector with pins. Murphy's law suggests that you will have one of each and the cable won't be suitable........
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

marginally
save
just
He says he'd thought about that but there's no available slot for the 5 1/4" drive.
We're not talking State of the Art Cutting Edge stuff here!
Mary

1/4"
You mean the drive?
I wondered about that too.
Worth thinking about. But not now, I'm dropping asleep. Been shopping today and I hate shopping :-(
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote: <snip>

Now there's a first!
Steve R
--
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

Exactly. Just pop a piece of cardboard underneath it to make sure that none of the drive electronics touch the PC metalwork

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

That's not a problem if it's just to transfer a few files. It's not a real computer if it hasn't spent at least a week with the lid off :-)
The other alternative would be Laplink, or whatever its modern equivalent is. This was (haven't used it for 6 or 7 years) a program which could transfer files via a serial cable between two machines. Commercial though, so costs. Maybe you'll find a freeware or shareware work-alike on http://www.tucows.com /
Hwyl!
M.
--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html

Oh, and seeing your reply about it being an "old, DOS computer", Laplink worked particularly well under DOS. I dare say its modern equivalent still has this ability.
Hwyl!
M.
--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
"parish" <parish_AT_ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Aye, but if we're talking about a compaq desktop without a 3.5" disk then unless DOS has been upgraded then it's not likely to be one of the later version.
I didn't remember ever coming across this in DOS 5.x - DOS 6 had loads of additional utilities bundled in (drivespace, etc).
We used to use a program called FX, pretty much equivalent to laplink.
but of course we don't yet know versions or vintage of the machine...
cheers Richard -- Richard Sampson

PC DOS 5 came on dual media, AFAIR.
Remember that you only need Interlink on the newer machine anyway.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk