SLate Tile laying

In anticipation of the installation of a wood burner, the hearth had to be re-instated. I now have a pretty flat cement base to work on.

We have some 9" ish by about 1.5" thick slate tiles. The tile tiles vary in thickness by a fair amount, so need bedding onto/into something that will accommodate these differences.

Can anyone advise as to the best mix for the job?

Cheers Pete

Reply to
unknown

Ardurit rapid set, mixed as stiff as you can, then tamp down, and IMMDIATELY sponge off any surplus, or else use brick acid to remove muck when its set.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

f a wood burner, the hearth had to

Alternatively use a lime mortar. This will not set for a long period so gives you an opportunity to add/remove as necessary. Do one tile at a time, press down more firmly on thicker tiles and remove the excess mortar that appears to the side.

Reply to
abaker

Thankyou both for your recommendations. Only problem now will be finding either product locally.

Bit more searching is the next job I s'pose.

Cheers pete

Reply to
unknown