Slate Table top

The slate top of a garden table has been broken into two pieces. The break is across the width and is about 3 ft. long. Being slate the fracture is at an angle and forms a sort of scarf join. I want to stick the two bits together to make a repair. My first thought is to use a two part epoxy adhesive, such as Araldite, or are there more suitable adhesives available ?

One of my concerns in using Araldite outside is that it will be rather viscous at the prevailing temperature thus making it difficult to cramp up the join to make a snug fit. The table is too big and heavy to move indoors.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Not a hope. Use a metal splint underneath. You'll be able to hold it together with a glued butt, but any strength will rely on the splint being in tension.

Fasten it to the slate with short drilled blind holes from beneath, then bond in short stainless steel studs or parallel-thread woodscrews. Screws need to be put in place "wet", studs can be glued in, left to harden, then bolted up later.

To drill it, turn the slate upside down on a few layers of carpet or foam underlay. Drill it _without_ hammer action, as many slates are quite soft. If you do need hammer action, run the drill at the slowest speed and use the lightest action you can. Blow the dust out afterwards.

You can use either epoxy or the right grade of polyester. Araldite isn't particularly good, as it's already over-thickened, but it would do the job. Screwfix sell several suitable resins in a cartridge, specially for use with wall fixings. Personally I'd use a better grade epoxy, like West Systems. Epoxy is also good for bonding the slate itself.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I suggest you use a rust proof metal splint, I have an animal feed trough, fixed in this way, the rusted metal has since made rather a mess. The trough is very old, and the fix a good bit older than me.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Thanks for the link Colin. I am unable to find any reference to the 2002 product there. The nearest I can get is 2012 but this is also a viscous mixture or "gloop".

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Sorry, that should have read 2020, a low viscosity adhesive designed for bonding glass. I would think the problems will be similar to those of bonding stone.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I thik car body filler is entirely adequate, and you can get it at halfords, or 'liquid metal' - same basic stuff.

The key is in the splints.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher