Slate sill suppliers in UK...

Hi,

Next question: Slate sills... We are looking at the possibility of using internal slate sills downstairs in the conversion we are doing, so SWMBO can place plants etc. on them without marking... Windows are all new and oak, so we will cut a 25mm or 30mm rebate to take the sill, which will have what's called a "semi-rubbed" (i.e. slightly buffed matt) finish.

Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably cheap supplier or grey/blue grey slate for this (the Chinese et.c slates are not appropriate). About 20 windows are involved.

I've looked at Snowdonia Slate & Stone

Slate & Stone
Cerrig
Solway
Grey Slate & Stone Supplies
recommendations? What should I expect to pay (apart from "quite a lot")?

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike Deblis

Often suitable chunks come up on EBay. Old slate fireplaces and the like may also work, sometimes these are cheep, or reclamation yards.

A mosaic effect made from roof slates would be much cheeper, and probably much more likley to make the House Doctor scream in horror.

Try Greaves Welsh Roofing Slate, they guy there is allright, he did us a deal on our roofing, which was good, but we did not take up. He is located right in the quarry.

Indigo Jones make signs from slate, thay may sell you the slate un-written on, they must have equipment to cut the bits to size.

The neerer you get to the quarry, the lower the price will be.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

We got ours from:

M.C Slate Ltd Bow Station, Bow, Crediton, Devon EX17 6HU Tel: 01363 82598

Get them to price up your order - you'll be surprised at the price.

Reply to
Grunff

price is good - they supply Brazilian slate, not Welsh, and it is comparable with that from Solway (who are a bit cheaper).

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike Deblis

I got good Indian slate greeny grey - for flooring from Smith and Wareham Bury st edmunds suffolk. About £26 a sq meter samll quantities. MONTAUK is the brand...

I thimk they have a website. And a lomndon outlet as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher