Slate Floor tiles

I have recently laid slate floor tiles in my bathroom and pre-sealed them with a propietry sealer...however the tiles don't look quite dark enough. They dried to a mid grey colour. Is there anything I can put on the tiles to make them darker.

Thks

JeC

Reply to
Jonathan Cummings

Paint

Normally you would choose the slate of the correct colour.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Don't be daft. They dry to that colour. Just scrub them and put some more sealant on them -or polish.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Yes. Try some Lithofin MN Colour Enhancer.

I used this in the kitchen for slate tiles there. It doesn't darken the slate colour, but makes it appear richer without making it look glossy.

However, I can't remember whether this stuff should go on before or after the sealer (use Lithofin Stainstop for that), so you need to research it. The web site has a lot of technical information or you can email them.

Lithofin stuff is generally available from better tile shops or on line.

Reply to
Andy Hall

you can get a protective covering that will put a thin layer of "stuff" on the tile to stop the dirt etc. from getting in, this does make them look darker. We used this method in our porch area of the cottage.

James

James

My grandmother came from Blaenau Festiniog, my grandfsther was a quarryman there. The custom in the late 1800s was to wash the front door step (slate of course) on a saturday night so that it was clean for sunday morning. She used milk to clean the step, whether it was mixed with water I don't known, perhaps you can experiment? :-)

Cheers Don

Reply to
Don

Color enhancer instead of sealer...it may be too late tho. But try anyway. Lithofin do it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher