Slate floor products

Page 2 of 2

(I
green,
No, nothing like that! Clearly, what I may or may not like won't necessarily coincide with your taste.
Neil

Sounds good then. I might try to drive up there on Saturday and take a look at their stuff.
Christian.
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:18:29 -0000, "Neil Jones"

I don't believe so, Neil.
There are variations between batches, obviously, but there was not a substantial green in ours at all. The colours range from mid to dark grey and to oranges and orange browns - pretty much the colours you expect to see associated with iron.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:45:57 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

The bigger price variations tend to be with size, especially if you want a good grade.

This was another factor.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Christian McArdle wrote:

That is wise. The units can be left - just remove plinths - and tile to leg edfes, and trim plinths to the correct height. .

I probably won't even fit plinths until the floor is in place.
Still, this kitchen is taking some time to do.
I've still got to:
1. Finish lighting (one luminaire and switch cable) 2. Install pipework for water softener. 3. Swap plumbing for w/m and t/d. 4. Install fan convector 5. Plasterboard short section of wall 6. Wet plaster outside of chimney breast 7. Design/build/attach fire surround + shelf 8. Plaster chased in cables 9. Renovate & draftproof windows 10. Paint. 11. Cut and fit cornices, pelmets and plinths. 12. Install worktops (will DEFINITELY get pro for this) 13. Tile splashbacks + fireplace internals 14. Lay floor 15. Install range cooker 16. Install breakfast bar. 17. Install open ended wall unit above breakfast bar.
Still, it's looking fairly good already. It's the floor and chimney (bare breeze block) that let down the appearance. Strangely, the current plywood worksurfaces (which replaced the previous cardboard ones) don't look as bad as you'd imagine.
Christian.
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:50:22 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

You could ask. At the time, they had a centre in Guildford so we went there,

We have the Sheng Li. It fits well with the rest of the kitchen environment - dark granite worktops, tumbled marble wall tiles, oak furniture and joinery.
I would recommend buying a tile or two and taking them home. If you can borrow or buy samples of the other bits you intend to use. Put them together and look at them over a period of a few days. You can reasonably simulate colour enhancer by wetting the tiles lightly.

that was the attraction to me as well. There are quite a few plant and animal fossils and imprints also, so I distributed those in various places.

We had this issue, although in our case it was a staircase that was being replaced at the same time. It was dealt with by tiling in the area involved using a faster setting adhesive that went off in a few hours.
I would definitely tile underneath and go all the way back as well. We selected tiles that were relatively free of bumps to go under the appliances.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:25:57 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

I just read Neil's post. I also bought slate from Stonell and echo his comments on their quality of service.
I'd suggest talking to their technical department and give them a complete description of what you have and the effect that you would like to achieve. We used Howtex adhesive and grout, but it was starting from a concrete floor. I would think but am not certain that something with flexibility would be good for plywood.

We used two of each.

Lithofin's web site was fairly accurate on coverage. FWIW, Just Tiles in Woodley has their stuff, although I didn;t check their prices.

IIRC, we did it between coats.

I used a mid grey. I wouldn't go for anything too pale with this type of slate and definitely not white. Mid grey seems to largely "disappear" and you are then more aware of the colours of the slate.
Have a look at
http://www.stonell.co.uk/slate.shtml
and click on Sheng Li, and I think you will see what I mean. With colour enhancer, the colours will be raised but without making the appearance glossy.
Have you thought about sizes? They need to be in the context of the area being covered......

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Christian McArdle wrote:

Lots.
Pass. Provbably only one or two.

Grout as the absolutely last thing you do before maybe a final seal coat or two. Grout is impossibly hard to get off slates, so teh more there is between teh salet and the grout, the better.
Having dne 55 sq meters of slate, let me tell 6you that THE most crirtical thing, is to have a bucket of warm water and a kitchen sponge at all times to INSTANTLY mop up anything yu spill on it of a cement nature. You have t best 15 muntes with rapid set cement amnd most grouts.
Do NOT assiume ou will be able to grout the whiole lot, let it go off a bit and clean teh surplus. Clean each slate as soon as laid, then clean the whole row, then the whole floor.

Grey is nice. Lay with at least 5mm gaps. I used 3 on a large area nad regretted it. If the slates are very uneven use even more - 8mm?
Take LOTS of time. I reckon if you can do 10 sq meters in a day, just layng, thats good going. I'd say youo have maybe 4 days of work there at least. Because you will lose concentration after about 6 hours. Stop.
The finsihed result, if you are very careful and patient, is stunning tho.
Best of luck.

You can even have a small amount of variation. That also looks in keeping.

Not to mention the effect on the back. This is hard work.

Yes it is...