"slab" insulation - oddball query :-}

This is probably one of the strangest posts i've ever made, but...

We've got a dog that likes to be outdoors - but not to the extent of wanting to be in a kennel*. It has free access inside through a dogflap, but likes to lie outside and listen to the noises of the night, and a little bit of birdsong occasionally in the early mornings.

Are any of the "slab" insulating materials like Kingspan suited to being laid bare outside without protection, not soak water like a sponge - yet be dense enough to not crumble particularly easily (polystyrene could be messy) ? FWIW it's a large labrador**

I'm just thinking if any of it might be suitable, I might pick some up, throw it on the patio, and see if I can encourage it not to get too cold :-}

  • / ** she's the biggest labrador bitch the vet had ever seen (_not_ overweight, just very tall) and was stunned to find it weighed over 45 kilos even as a youngster (before she got to full adult "filled out a bit" size) - she's half as tall again compared to an average lab :-}

TIA :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I had a piece of the stuff stacked outside for a couple of years and it didn't disintegrate and neither did the foil come off. It became quite soaked with rainwater but that didn't seem to be a problem. I slung it out in the end, but it was still reasonably OK.

A bigger problem might be the slobberador doing just that on it or chewing.

Either way, having once had a similarly scaled black labrador (dog), I suspect that this sheet would not be a long term solution - would probably disintegrate

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well it won't soak up water, and should last reasonably well outside left to its own devices (the exposed edge will harden a bit with UV exposure).

The biggest problem I would have thought would be sharp pointy bits (which if yours is anything like ours, probably has plenty) that could puncture the foil coating and ultimately erode the surface.

Perhaps your best bet would be a bit of the stuff designed for warm deck roofs. This is a layer of insulation board with a thin coating of ply bonded to it. This will probably withstand the effect of twinkle toes tapping away!

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for the replies - I didn't realise it had a foil coating...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 01:53:30 -0000, Colin Wilson mused:

Yep, I was going to suggest, on a simialr note to above, some sort of hardwearing weather resistantish protective coating, hardboard with a sheet of some sort over maybe? Should keep all the bits together then as well.

Reply to
Lurch

Its quite a tough plasticised foil - usually on both sides (unless you get the insulation bonded to some other substrate like ply or plasterboard)

Reply to
John Rumm

Labradors in general and most large dogs are well adapted to sub zero conditions.

Ors even likes to splash in the sea in winter...he comes out shivering, but soon warms up by running around.

A brisk walk in summer gets him overheating..he runs into the pond and stands there for ten minutes..

If the silly bitch wants to lie outside, let her. She knows here own well being better than you do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Colin Wilson writes

Why not do the job properly? I have some insulated steel roofing panel offcuts free to good home:-)

Ideal for a trendy, slate blue finished, dog kennel.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

An oddball question hopefully means oddball answers are acceptable...

How about making her a small deck? Perhaps the insulation board could be put within/beneath it too.

Our cats like to sit on 'anything' that happens to be in an otherwise bare area. Hence if I built a foot-square deck on my patio it'd get sat on, guaranteed. Dunno about dogs though?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Mathew Newton wrote

And they sit there radiating an air of "This is MINE."

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

It is, and don't forget that you are merely a member of their staff.

Reply to
Andy Hall

How about a camping mat ?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Mine has taken to lying on the spaghetti junction of cables behind the tv, which is slightly more convenient than the computer keyboard.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Not a bad one - and I may even have one kicking around (that hadn't occurred to me) :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Our other mutt (now 14) knows how to ID the mouse cable on my wifes' machine, and it gets a good tug whenever she's been on the computer longer than the mutt likes :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

It's not an oddball answer by any means, and could well be a winner !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Ours is a bugger for water too - the older one was as well once, but had a couple of real close shaves aka didn't realise how deep and fast flowing a section was and got washed downstream, having to be rescued by grabbing the collar and dragging her out half-strangled in the process - she now stays clear of anything deeper than paw-deep :-}

I know, i'm probably getting a little soft with them now they're getting older :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Thanks for the replies guys, it's given me a couple of ideas :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

If you're in the Liverpool area, I might even take you up on that :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Hey - thanks for the query. It's the humour funnies like this create that make this NG a good read.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham