Sky subscriptions

This is probably not the best NG for this message If anyone can point me to the appropraite one let me know

I took out a basic SKY subscription when I bought my digibox a couple of years ago however I do not really find anything of worth from SKY and they have been increasing the payments reqd too often lately for my liking

So if I were to cancel my subscription would this affect the operation of my system as regards picking up the free to air channels and the operation of the various menu choices etc. Would I just lose the SKY stuff or is there any other implications Note I also use the digibox to connect to another broadcasts on a separate satellite

Many thanks

Mike Saunders

Reply to
Mike Saunders

In article , Mike Saunders writes

I think you need a "free to air" card which is free in itself on application, try taking your sky card out and see what's left

Reply to
David

I think you will need to get a free to air card. Try looking here for more help

Space Cowboy

Presumably you will be cancelling your Sky sub after the 12 months . Cancelling your sub will NOT affect you being able to get any of the free channels . You will be able to get the BBC channels without doing anything

To get Ch 4 and 5 you will need to get a card-I foerget exactly where -but it csts £23.50.

You say you use the didgibox to get programmes from another satellite -do you use a motorised dish ?? Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

See my other reply-It is no longer necessary to get a Free To Air card to get the BBC Channels . To get the rest you need a card which costs £23.50 but I cant remeber where u get it from . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Try ringing SKY up and telling you wish to cancel. They will ask for a reason why and tell them you have become unemployed and can no longer afford their services. They will offer you 6 months at half price. I have seen it done.

Removing my card stops all channels, but when I cancelled my subscription I still got the free to air stuff such as 1,2,3,4 & 5 SKY News, BBC 24 etc. Try Sat TV Europe for a list of free to air stuff. My card did have an expiry date and just before it ran out I was offered a half price package for six month with the right to cancel at any time. I took the offer and so will have to wait and see if the card will give freeview when I cancel the subscription. There is also a freeview card telephone number on SKY Services.

HTH

-- Adam

adamwadsworth@(REMOVETHIS)blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No he won't and no it isn't.

He doesn't need to take his card out. His subscription card will revert to a FTV card if he cancels his sub. It will be good for C4, C5 and ITV for a few years yet. The BBC channels are FTA as is CNN, Euronews, $ky News and some others. Practically all his radio is also FTA [free to air].

I'm making the assumption here that since he currently has a $ky sub, he now has a series two card (the darker blue one with the cartoon house on it).

Reply to
Simon Gardner

3,4 and 5 are NOT free to air and never have been. 1,2, $ky News and News 21 *are* free to air.
Reply to
Simon Gardner

It may be worth a spot of blagging with them. A couple of years ago, I called to downgrade the package and told them it was because "i sinply cannot afford it anymore", they actually gave me the full package free for 3 months until I got back on my feet. I cancelled after the three months of course!

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

In article , 666 snipped-for-privacy@hack.powernet writes

So you don't need one but you would have to pay for it if you did :-) Somebody was doing them for nought, maybe it was just a start up thing

I've still got the analogue set up as well as the digital, there is still quite a few channels being picked up on that without a card in it

Reply to
David

Just shows you how overpriced it is to start with when they give discounts and free services at the drop of a hat. Everyone I have spoke to about poor quality sky service have said they gave them a call and told them where to shove their over priced trashtv and then got discounts, upgrades, offers and allsorts. See thread on dolphin bathrooms, same sort of thing, charlatans, daylight robbery etc...

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

You'll retain all the FTA channels and, if your card is a P2 (dark blue with the yellow house logo on it), you'll retain the 3 remaining FTV channels - ITVl, Channel 4 and five - as well.

Reply to
Ian Walker

No. He doesn't need one. You might.

That's right. Over 23.

The BBC subsidised them until the BBC went FTA. After that they were no longer free. Indeed as it stands at the moment, they won't be available at all after the end of the month. But that deadline has already been extended once.

I have a number of systems including a fully motorised large dish (analogue and digital), four $ky boxes and three other digital receivers.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

It is the replacement cards that have to be applied for before the end of January 2004 -not new cards .

Stuart

One dish but with 2 x lnb's (I think they are called)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Saunders

Reply to
Simon Gardner

In article , 666 snipped-for-privacy@hack.powernet writes

Blimey that's serious, dare I ask why?

Reply to
David

The site is very vague when it comes to some one who doesn't have or want a Sky subscription in any shape or form. From the FAQ:

"This offer is also available to anyone requiring a card for the first time and who doesn't wish to subscribe to a pay service."

So that would mean everyone who doesn't have a P2 (modern, yellow house) card has to pay the =A323.50. I guess very few people go out buy =

a digital satellite reciever and install it themselves so most people will have a P2 card by default (from $ky).

What happens after Jan 31st or end of 2005 is not covered at all. I might, just might, get a digital sat setup sometime but I sure as hell don't want to have to provide the damn thing with a phone line and pay a sub to $ky. What does someone without a $ky card or sub do to get a FTV card after Jan 31st?

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a card swap in 2006 that "breaks" the current FTV system so those not with a $ky sub will need to pay for a new card (again).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

subscription I

Sorry. Should have said my Sky card became a freeview card. Thanks