Sky subscriptions

Page 1 of 2
This is probably not the best NG for this message If anyone can point me to the appropraite one let me know
I took out a basic SKY subscription when I bought my digibox a couple of years ago however I do not really find anything of worth from SKY and they have been increasing the payments reqd too often lately for my liking
So if I were to cancel my subscription would this affect the operation of my system as regards picking up the free to air channels and the operation of the various menu choices etc. Would I just lose the SKY stuff or is there any other implications Note I also use the digibox to connect to another broadcasts on a separate satellite
Many thanks
Mike Saunders
Add pictures here
βœ–

I think you need a "free to air" card which is free in itself on application, try taking your sky card out and see what's left
--
David

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:06:34 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@chaplehouse.demon.co.uk wrote:

See my other reply-It is no longer necessary to get a Free To Air card to get the BBC Channels . To get the rest you need a card which costs £23.50 but I cant remeber where u get it from . Stuart
--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@chaplehouse.demon.co.uk wrote:

No he won't and no it isn't.

He doesn't need to take his card out. His subscription card will revert to a FTV card if he cancels his sub. It will be good for C4, C5 and ITV for a few years yet. The BBC channels are FTA as is CNN, Euronews, $ky News and some others. Practically all his radio is also FTA [free to air].
I'm making the assumption here that since he currently has a $ky sub, he now has a series two card (the darker blue one with the cartoon house on it).
Add pictures here
βœ–
writes

So you don't need one but you would have to pay for it if you did :-) Somebody was doing them for nought, maybe it was just a start up thing

I've still got the analogue set up as well as the digital, there is still quite a few channels being picked up on that without a card in it
--
David

Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@chaplehouse.demon.co.uk wrote:

No. He doesn't need one. You might.

That's right. Over <GBP>23.

The BBC subsidised them until the BBC went FTA. After that they were no longer free. Indeed as it stands at the moment, they won't be available at all after the end of the month. But that deadline has already been extended once.

I have a number of systems including a fully motorised large dish (analogue and digital), four $ky boxes and three other digital receivers.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:09:43 +0000, 666 snipped-for-privacy@hack.powernet[dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner) wrote:
<<<Snipped >>>

It is the replacement cards that have to be applied for before the end of January 2004 -not new cards .
https://www.free2view.tv/index.htm
<<<Snipped
Stuart
--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
βœ–

No. It's both AFAIK.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 23:15:04 +0000, Simon Gardner wrote:

The site is very vague when it comes to some one who doesn't have or want a Sky subscription in any shape or form. From the FAQ:
"This offer is also available to anyone requiring a card for the first time and who doesn't wish to subscribe to a pay service."
So that would mean everyone who doesn't have a P2 (modern, yellow house) card has to pay the £23.50. I guess very few people go out buy a digital satellite reciever and install it themselves so most people will have a P2 card by default (from $ky).
What happens after Jan 31st or end of 2005 is not covered at all. I might, just might, get a digital sat setup sometime but I sure as hell don't want to have to provide the damn thing with a phone line and pay a sub to $ky. What does someone without a $ky card or sub do to get a FTV card after Jan 31st?
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a card swap in 2006 that "breaks" the current FTV system so those not with a $ky sub will need to pay for a new card (again).
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Jolly good. Fortunate I'm not relying on it for my information when I say AFAIK it's both, then.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Blimey that's serious, dare I ask why?
--
David

Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@chaplehouse.demon.co.uk wrote:

The $ky boxes are all second hand (last lot I bought were <GBP>50 each) and provide the UK TV reception here, plus I'm a newsaholic[1] and also watch foreign TV a fair bit. Whilst I don't personally have a $ky sub, I do sub for a basic French service.
[1] If there's something big going down - like a war - I'll have four news channels on simultaneously. Not all of them will be UK ones. Generally one TV will be on News 21 constantly - whatever's happening.
Add pictures here
βœ–
uk says...

I tend to prefer News 24 - I find the 3-hour gap on your channel annoying! ;-)
--
http://www.mxf.info - information for developers of mxf systems

Add pictures here
βœ–

they
my
of
I think you will need to get a free to air card. Try looking here for more help http://www.digitalspy.co.uk /
βœ–
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:18:59 -0000, "Mike Saunders"

Presumably you will be cancelling your Sky sub after the 12 months . Cancelling your sub will NOT affect you being able to get any of the free channels . You will be able to get the BBC channels without doing anything
To get Ch 4 and 5 you will need to get a card-I foerget exactly where -but it csts £23.50.
You say you use the didgibox to get programmes from another satellite -do you use a motorised dish ?? Stuart
--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
βœ–
βœ–

3,4 and 5 are NOT free to air and never have been. 1,2, $ky News and News 21 *are* free to air.
Add pictures here
βœ–
βœ–

"Freeview" is the commercial name for the DTT service now in operation [Digital Terrestrial TV] and is nothing at all to do with satellite in any shape or form.
Add pictures here
βœ–
One dish but with 2 x lnb's (I think they are called)
Mike

they
my
of